UK Penny and Half Penny collection

Started by gpimper, November 17, 2020, 07:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Quote from: gpimper on November 18, 2020, 11:41:08 PM
That 1825 is nice.  If I were to pick it up at a glance I would think Roman.

Yes, they had a period of portraying the kings as emperors with laurel wreaths in their hair rather than typical crowns. On some they're even draped in toga-like robes that add to the effect. The one below is the 1797 "Cartweel" issue but the 1806/07 is similar in this respect.

gpimper

1930 George V Half Penny.  Again, I have a number but tried to post the best one.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces578.html
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on November 18, 2020, 11:16:58 PM
Want to add just a couple images

Dale
These older ones, Victoria and earlier, are my favorites, Dale. Thanks for posting yours.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

I think this is one of my better examples at least in my British large pennies.  1857

Best I can tell it is "Close Colon" , "Large Date".

Look that one up in the catalog  :)

Dale

Quote from: brandm24 on November 19, 2020, 09:47:35 PM
These older ones, Victoria and earlier, are my favorites, Dale. Thanks for posting yours.

Bruce

gpimper

After seeing Dale's beautiful '57 I'm a little embarrassed even posting this one :-)  1862 Victoria Half Penny.  Coin has seen better days.   
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

No need to be embarrassed, I have plenty that can keep yours company.

Now, Feast your eyes on this beauty!

1797 1-Penny....Trust me.

Dale
I do have a nice 1797 2-Penny though

Quote from: gpimper on November 20, 2020, 10:16:13 PM
After seeing Dale's beautiful '57 I'm a little embarrassed even posting this one :-)  1862 Victoria Half Penny.  Coin has seen better days.   

brandm24

I agree with Dale, Greg. I have a lot of worn and beat up old coppers too. If you look at the bright side...I always do...you see evidence of the coin doing its "job." They were meant to circulate and they did. Where have they been, who handled them and for what purpose would be fun to know. Enjoy them for what they are.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Another consideration. That copper Victorian penny did not see much circulation. It was unpopular due to its weight and relatively quickly replaced by the bronze types. By contrast, those bronze Victorian pennies and halfpennies were still plentiful in circulation when I first went to the UK in the mid sixties. They were withdrawn from 1968, but remained in use, e.g. on fairgrounds in "bulldozer" type games. It is difficult to find a Victorian bronze penny in VF or better. It is also difficult to find a Victorian copper penny in VF or worse.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I finally went through my box and pulled out a few pennies and halfpennies. I have a lot more than I thought but wanted to post just a few. This 1855 is pretty nive but not as nice as Dale's '57. He takes better pictures too. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Here's an 1861. Not in the best condition but the woodgrain effect is interesting. We call these woodies.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

And the final year of the Victoria design.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

1869 half penny. This one has a small planchet delamination (?) on the reverse in the field at 9 o'clock.

Bruce
Always Faithful

pk72

Quote from: FosseWay on November 18, 2020, 03:43:57 PM
If you look closely at the obverses, you'll see that 1949 is in fact different from 1938/40 (those two are the same as each other). On the coins up to and including 1948, the obverse inscription ends ... IND IMP, short for Indiae Imperator, or Emperor of India. In 1949 this was removed and F D expanded to FIDEI DEF (Fidei Defensor, or Defender of the Faith).

The reason is of course that the British monarch ceased to be emperor of India when India and Pakistan became independent.

But this raises a question that I've never seen a decent answer to. India and Pakistan gained their independence on 15 August 1947, yet the change on UK coinage only took effect in 1949. For all UK coins dated 1948, the king was claiming a title he was no longer entitled to. Some of the Dominions that also used IND IMP or an English equivalent did indeed change the legend in 1948 - South Africa, for example. Why the delay in the UK? Head in the sand ostrich behaviour? If we say it on the coins it must be true? An error? Laziness at the Mint?
India become independent in 1947 but became a Republic only in 1950 when its constitution came into affect ...

Prosit

Here is a match to gpimper's coin

1757 half penny

Dale

Prosit

And a fairly nice coin as well :-)

1806 half penny

Dale