Author Topic: Edinburgh Street Tramways token  (Read 92 times)

Offline artsmith

Edinburgh Street Tramways token
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:03 AM »
Edinburgh Street Tramways 3d token. Brass. 25mm. Not listed in either Smith or Breingan. This token has been dug, so it is rather scruffy. Any thoughts on how to clean it would be appreciated.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Edinburgh Street Tramways token
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »
If this piece was covered in mud, just let it sit in water with some liquid soap. If stuff starts falling off, use a wooden toothpick to hasten the process.

However, I suspect the soil it was buried in was as toxic as saying Brexit has bad consequences ;D Chemicals have discoloured the token and caused the pitting. One possibility is that the ground was in an area where much coal was burnt (including the port area), which will produce lots of acids. My advice would be to leave it as it is.

Street Tramways is a strange combination, since, for lack of a better word, the expression street railway was used in official documents like permits to build and exploit one. In due time, street railway was succeeded by tramway. Anyway, there is more information on the company here.

The denomination threepence is fun because it is the tariff for a hansom cab ride until around 1835. You don't compete with a more luxury ride by charging the same price, so this token offered a 25% discount over a cab.

This would be a great addition to WoT...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »
My advice would be to leave it as it is.

Peter
I agree with Peter. Nothing more than a soak just to see if any loose residue comes off. Anything more abrasive might destroy any remaining detail..

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline artsmith

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I did do some cleaning on it. Soap and water and then some lemon juice. It did clean up a bit. I will try to add it to WoT.  Here is a picture after cleaning.

Art