Author Topic: Ancient China - Hartill 6.26 or 6.27 - probably fake  (Read 87 times)

Offline Matteo

Ancient China - Hartill 6.26 or 6.27 - probably fake
« on: November 14, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
Hello,

I've found this coin on the web, classified as Hartill 6.26 or 6.27 (I'm not able to understand the difference). I'm not an expert, but I suppose it is a fake because I know it's very rare. Do you think it's a good fake? Do you have an image of an authentic coin of this type?

Thanks.
Matteo

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ancient China - Hartill 6.26 or 6.27 - probably fake
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
Yours is 6.26. Turn your coin 180° and compare the character at 7 o'clock (looks like 2 slightly diagonal lines. The character is read together with the one at 6 o'clock (looks like a +). Together, the two characters mean 12. On 6.27, the number is 14. Hartill writes that they are series numbers.

Can't judge if it is genuine or not, but I don't like the vague leftmost stroke in the 12, nor the square angles in the character liang (at 3-5 o'clock), indicative of too much mathematical precision overall.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Matteo

Re: Ancient China - Hartill 6.26 or 6.27 - probably fake
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
Yours is 6.26. Turn your coin 180° and compare the character at 7 o'clock (looks like 2 slightly diagonal lines. The character is read together with the one at 6 o'clock (looks like a +). Together, the two characters mean 12. On 6.27, the number is 14. Hartill writes that they are series numbers.

Can't judge if it is genuine or not, but I don't like the vague leftmost stroke in the 12, nor the square angles in the character liang (at 3-5 o'clock), indicative of too much mathematical precision overall.

Peter

Dear Peter,
thanks for the answer and for the correct identification. It is a very rare coin, so it sounds strange that it is on sale by a not professional seller. The general style is not so convincing to me... I agree with you about a "mathematical precision overall".

Matteo