Author Topic: Odd counterstamp on old halfpenny  (Read 502 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Odd counterstamp on old halfpenny
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
Now you really have my attention, Paris. A very interesting print of Washington at work.

Could you please explain your French Semeuse to me and how it might be relevant?

Thanks,

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
Another thing. That hole makes the coin look like it was at one time silvered. Or is it just the light?

I don't think it's silvered but just a flash from too much light. I see it a lot on coin photography by non-professionals.

I'm going to bid on this coin so maybe I'll have the opportunity to examine it in hand.

Bruce
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:32:48 PM by Figleaf »
Always Faithful

Offline Guillaume Hermann

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »

Could you please explain your French Semeuse to me and how it might be relevant?
No direct relation with your coin, I just took it as an example for the fact that a coins designer is not necessarily an expert on gardening. Even in more rural times!
I am sorry I just have my mobile phone now. Please search for "Semeuse Roty" on the web. On coins and/or stamps, it has been the most common design for daily use in France from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of euro (and perhaps for non circulating euros, I don't know). If you look at her hair, you notice she is sowing face to the wind. None peasant would have do so...

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
I isolated the stamp to show a more uncluttered view. Not much help I'm afraid.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 04:07:05 AM »
The counter marked image may refer to the Royal Oak in which the future king Charles II hid from the Roundheads.

note the tree has a fence around similar to that shown in the image. see Wikipedia
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
I had another thought about the image. Matbe it portrays a grave digger which would explain the crosses. Also the railing or fence might represent grave stones. Still can't think of any connection to George lll. I notice the stamp is placed carefully in front of his portrait and doesn't deface it in any way.
The counter marked image may refer to the Royal Oak in which the future king Charles II hid from the Roundheads.

note the tree has a fence around similar to that shown in the image. see Wikipedia

Thanks for the link, Mal. Something to think about.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
Pictures I remember seeing in the past had royal crowns hanging from the tree. The crosses could refer to its catholic connection.

"It can be seen how the Boscobel woodlands were incorporated as a part of an early seventeenth-century idealised landscape centred on Boscobel House, a hunting lodge and a place of Roman Catholic concealment."
Malcolm

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »
The more I think about it the more I like your theory, Mal. I've been searching a lot of images on line but haven'tp with anything yet. I'll go back and search again keeping your idea in mind.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 10:38:05 PM »
I came across this undated Buffalo Nickel (1913-1938) with a similar lattice pattern on it as the halfpenny. The pattern is slightly wider, but there's no corresponding line on the reverse like on the first coin. There's only the common flat spot from the obverse strike. I've seen this same thing a number of times on different types of coins and haven't been able to decipher its meaning. Since there's no second counterstamp struck on the nickel there wouldn't be any reason for possible vice marks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 12:41:53 AM »
This one is different to the ones that show vice marks which are usually at an oblique angle forming diamond shapes.
Malcolm