Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING COIN  (Read 271 times)

Offline mintindia

PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING COIN
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »
Sir I received this coin it is 1943 British india 1 pice Calcutta mint , but some differences are there plz advice me..

1.Extra shape round the coin
2.number 3 of1943 is in different design.
3.Big flat crown.

Offline mintindia

PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING COIN
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
please help me to identify this coin
1.Extra shape around the coin
2.No 3 of 1943 is different design.
3.Flat crown

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING COIN
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:07:32 AM »
The border is easy. It is not flat, but flattened. The remains of the teeth are still visible. That could have happened inside or outside the mint. The absence of the dot for Pretoria could have been a dirty die, but I don't see any ghosting.

The round-topped 3 is hard to explain. I have seen only flat-topped threes. The only scenario I can think of is that the 3 was punched in separately to save money at the end of the year. This would have resulted in the final digit of the year being slightly out of alignment in some instances. I am not aware of such coins, so I tend to think that the Indian and Pretoria mints at this time did not use this practice. Also, the 3 on your piece is perfectly aligned.

The crown is impossible to explain. In all three varieties, the lower band of the crown is an oval, so the crown should be described as "like the flat crown". The missing lower line of the oval is highly unlike to have occurred in the design stage, as it is clearly intended to be there on your piece, in view of the two down corners of the band. Moreover, 1943 with this size letters is known exclusively with high crown. This also makes a changed date (1943 from 1945) quite unlikely.

The coin is not a pattern or a restrike. It has clearly circulated. You may argue that it could have escaped into circulation inadvertently, but that doesn't explain the impossible crown. In general, I would be wary of flamboyant varieties of common coins that have gone unnoticed for 75 years.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mintindia

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »
thank you sir, this is the other side of same coin please check

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Can you explain the red circle, please?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mintindia

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:40:36 PM »
Extra shape alaround the coin and the design inside the circle is differ from the circulated coin, here is the design that circulated, refer image attached please.

Offline mintindia

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
the circled shape is different

Offline mintindia

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »
I think the unapproved design

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »
Are you saying that your piece has a larger diameter?

Peter

Offline mintindia

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 07:32:22 PM »
same diameter but different design

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Thank you. As I hinted at above, you can get this effect on the edge outside the mint with the help of a simple vise. Since the edge is higher that the rest of the design, the edge would flatten under the pressure. On your first photo, you can see some of the teeth sticking out. The motivation may have been (speculation!) that the teeth did not turn out well (e.g. beginning and end of the circle of teeth did not match) and had to be hidden. As some of the metal would be pushed outward, I would expect that your coin would be slightly larger, but maybe that effect was too small.

Anyway, the edge is not difficult to explain. The missing oval of the crown is the central problem. A skilled designer would not have left it incomplete with the "hinges" on the corners going so deep downwards. It looks more like the designer had placed the crown too low or made it too large, so that finishing the oval would have given a clear indication that something was wrong.

Peter