Author Topic: Token with interesting cutout  (Read 259 times)

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Token with interesting cutout
« on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
I couldn't find much about the issuer of this token despite the fact that his address and city are on it. What I thought was interesting though was the punched out center image of an eagle or some other kind of bird. Sometimes images like this represent the issuer's logo or something that appears in their ads or on their sign. It helps identify them.

In this instance I foind only one reference to Frank McGuire in historical records. The 1906 Hamilton City Directory listed his business, The Oxford, at 239 Court St., as a seller of "high grade wines, liquors, cigars, 239 Court opposite post office." Part of the difficulty in discovering more about him is the fact that his name is very common. I came across numerous people with the same name, but none seemed to fit.

In any case, it's an interesting token that I'm going to look into further. The issue was struck by Wright & Son of Cincinnati, Ohio, an old line manufacturer (1860) that's still in business today.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Token with interesting cutout
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »
Part of the difficulty in discovering more about him is the fact that his name is very common. I came across numerous people with the same name, but none seemed to fit. (...)

In any case, it's an interesting token that I'm going to look into further.

It may help to note that on the token, the last name is spelled Maguire (as in Molly), not McGuire.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »
Thanks, Peter, my mistake. I did research under the Maguire name though...I think. ??? I look into it again.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »
I looked again and came up with the same information that I got before, so must have searched using the proper spelling. I did look in Russ Rulau's United States Token reference and he listed Maguire. No new information but he did note that his 5 cent token was qute rare until a small hoard of them was found a number of years back. He dates the piece back to the 1890s.

I found a salesman's sample token for Wright & Son that I thought I'd post since it relates to Maguire's piece.

Bruce
Always Faithful