West Cigaretts

Started by Galaico, October 26, 2020, 05:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galaico

Can this be a Cigarette Machine Token?

Brass, 24,6 mm, 5,94 g, Medal alignment ↑↑.

West

Galaico - JPSAV

Galaico

West Cigaretts
Galaico - JPSAV

FosseWay

The other option is that it's a parking token - hence the P on the other side - with advertising by West cigarettes.

brandm24

Do you know if West is an American brand. It does say "American Blend" on the pack, but it still could be manufactured by a non-US company. I've never heard of the brand but it could have been popular before my time.

The reason I ask is because I don't recall ever seeing an advertisement on a parking token...at least not here. In my mind then it seems more likely that it's a cigarette token...vending machine maybe?

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

I hadn't heard of the brand before this thread, but apparently it's German.

Which led me to check in Menzel, but it's not listed.

brandm24

West has an interesting history and has accomplished a lot since 1991. I haven't seen any other tokens of theirs to compare this one to. I'm leaning towards a vending machine token.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Could be, but take into account that there is a collection of world tobacco machine tokens from our superbly documented member malj1 here and it doesn't mention this one.

Moreover, unless it is a cancerous outgrowth :'(, that looks like a P in a circle. It needs explaining. Personally, I like the parking token explanation.

A more convoluted consideration is why you would need a token in a vending machine in the first place. The law, in particular a ban on sales to minors, is a good answer, but see above link. A lack of coins in the correct size/denomination is another consideration, so if there are almost no halves and dollar coins in circulation that could be an answer, except that this problem is largely solved in the US, as most vending machines accept paper. The problem doesn't even exist in Germany (where the brand comes from) and the UK (in view of the warning on the package shown).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.