Author Topic: "Het Vaderland Bovenal" Medal  (Read 115 times)

Offline Henk

"Het Vaderland Bovenal" Medal
« on: October 24, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »
I have the following intriguing medal:
22,5 mm silver plated copper with loop
O: HET VADERLAND BOVENAL | (flag with IP)
R: Sea in front with three mountains and sun on the horizon, clouds above

There is no makers mark.

The translation of the text is: "the fatherland above all". It is a Dutch medal but what is the meaning of IP on the flag and for what occasion was this medal issued? This leaves me puzzled.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: "Het Vaderland Bovenal" Medal
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
I would speculate that the P is for partij in the sense of a political party. There is no I.P. in the list of parties that once had a seat in parliament and no longer exist. The motto smells pretty stale and there's not enough text to determine which spelling rules were used.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 12:34:27 AM »
Initially I also thought that it would be a former political party in the Netherlands but after having looked at a similar list of former political parties this did not appear to be the case. After some further searching I found that the piece you have is related to the 'Indische Partij', a political party in the Dutch East Indies. The party was founded in 1912 in Bandung by Ernest Douwes Dekker, a brother of the well known Dutch author Eduard Douwes Dekker (Multatuli), together with Tjipto Mangoenkoesoemo and Soewardi Soerjaningrat. The party was in favour of the Dutch East Indies becoming independent. They frequently used the motto "Het Vaderland Bovenal".

In 1913, Soerjaningrat, one of the founders of the party, heavily protested against the idea of the Dutch colonial government to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Netherlands becoming independent from France and to let all islanders pay for this commemoration. The Dutch colonial government on the islands banned him to the Banda Islands. Following protests of Ernest Douwes Dekker and Tjipto Mangoenkoesoemo, they too were banned to the Banda Islands. After this the party collapsed. Some attempts were done at that time to bring the party back to life but this failed. 

I was unable to find any images of their flag but based on a description I found (green, red, blue on black) which also matches with the lines of the heraldic hatching that can be seen on parts of the flag on your medal, it must have looked very similar to this:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:28:26 AM by eurocoin »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 08:54:46 AM »
 :applause: :like: :applause:

Read more about IP here, where there are more links, a.o. to the bios of the top guys. Hint: pronounce all "oe" combinations like "ou" in "you".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Thanks! Excellent research. I am very pleased with the attribution of my medal.

I did an additional search and i found a description of the medal in the Netherlands Indies Newspaper "De Express" published in Bandoeng on Friday 28 February 1913. Scan added. The medal is described in detail. They were sold for f 0,50 each. There is no mention of a ribbon only that a ring is attached to make it easier to wear.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:53 PM »
"De Express" was the party newspaper of the IP. Don't expect them to be impartial, but you are right to think of them as well informed about party affairs. I am pleased no end to have discovered about this "Indo" party with what would be all the right ideas 100 years later.

BTW, Geert Wilders is an Indio. >:D

Peter