Author Topic: Jahangir as Salim Shah. ½ Rupee. Month (1) Farwardin RY 2. Mint: Ahmedabad.  (Read 229 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
A ½ Rupee of Jahangir as Salim Shah from Ahmedabad. Month: Farwardin, the first month of his RY 2. THis is of the series of coins issued from Ahmedabad immediately on Jahangir's accession to the throne with the rulers name as Salim Shah Sultan. Why it was done is still not clear since the old theory that since he was the Governor of Ahmedabad, the mint master decided to strike the coins in his pre-accession name has been debunked almost a century back by GP Taylor, who notes that Jahangir was never the governor of Ahmedabad of Gujarat Province.

The coin is not in the best of condition but is extremely difficult to find even in this condition.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Two rarities in two days? You spoil us. I just realised I haven't seen the inside of a coin shop in the last 12 months!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Two rarities in two days? You spoil us.
Peter
Peter, these were not picked up over just two days. It was a much longer time interval. Only, I just had found time to photograph these a couple of days before I posted them. There are a few more up my sleeve but will need a little peaceful time to photograph them. However, it appears that coins seem to come chasing me...... rather than me chasing them. Friendly dealers, aware of my interest in coins of just this small area, call me up / send me pictures of the coins which they believe would interest me. They know that as a collector, I will be willing to shell out something more than what they could expect another trader to pay. So, it is a win win situation for both, me and the sellers. In fact, there are a few guys, who have gone out of the way to help me build my collection. When they get a bulk lot - like say one friend got a lot of 500+ Jahangir coins - picks out the coins that are of interest to me and sends me the images in groups of 10 / 15 coins. I check my collection and ask him for individual coins which I may be interested in or he will call me and we have a long telephonic chat and we reads out what he has and I ask him to separate what I need. So, I have been fairly fortunate. In fact, there is one such friend, a dealer, who offered me a scheme where instead of cash payment, he picked up the coins which I did not need. Again a win win since I got what I was not having and he had the benefit of having a wider range of coins for sale.....

........ I just realised I haven't seen the inside of a coin shop in the last 12 months!
We have been treated to some lavish online sales in recent months. for example - there were 5 auctions by established auctioneers this week end. each having something like 500 to 700 coins on offer - and then we have the Fb sales groups where the listing is well over 200 / 250 coins on some of the sellers I am in constant touch with. SO buyers are spoilt for choice........ One does not miss visits to coin shops, of which, there are not many in Ahmedabad, where I stay.

Amit

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
That's a really great and uplifting story, Amit. It's different in France. One of my friends couldn't get a job with a major coin dealer. He had all the qualifications, plenty of motivation but he was judged not to be "commercial". As if people can't learn and can't adapt. This dealer complains about lack of suitable staff.

This dealer has software that warns me if he has new stock in my area of interest. Deplorably, about 70-90% of that new stock is of no interest, because of keyword issues, e.g. "Pays Bas" (Netherlands) includes "Pays Basque" (Basque country) as well as "Pays Bas Meridionale" (Southern Netherland, now Belgium) and banknotes and medals as well as coins, but not tokens, which I do collect. Add that the dealers' auctions end in completely uninteresting prices (my take is that French collectors are willing to pay for ordering from French dealers in French) and what's left is good for at most one order a year for a very small value and therefore considerable shipping cost.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Peter, these were not picked up over just two days. It was a much longer time interval. Only, I just had found time to photograph these a couple of days before I posted them. There are a few more up my sleeve but will need a little peaceful time to photograph them. However, it appears that coins seem to come chasing me...... rather than me chasing them. Friendly dealers, aware of my interest in coins of just this small area, call me up / send me pictures of the coins which they believe would interest me. They know that as a collector, I will be willing to shell out something more than what they could expect another trader to pay. So, it is a win win situation for both, me and the sellers. In fact, there are a few guys, who have gone out of the way to help me build my collection. When they get a bulk lot - like say one friend got a lot of 500+ Jahangir coins - picks out the coins that are of interest to me and sends me the images in groups of 10 / 15 coins. I check my collection and ask him for individual coins which I may be interested in or he will call me and we have a long telephonic chat and we reads out what he has and I ask him to separate what I need. So, I have been fairly fortunate. In fact, there is one such friend, a dealer, who offered me a scheme where instead of cash payment, he picked up the coins which I did not need. Again a win win since I got what I was not having and he had the benefit of having a wider range of coins for sale.....
We have been treated to some lavish online sales in recent months. for example - there were 5 auctions by established auctioneers this week end. each having something like 500 to 700 coins on offer - and then we have the Fb sales groups where the listing is well over 200 / 250 coins on some of the sellers I am in constant touch with. SO buyers are spoilt for choice........ One does not miss visits to coin shops, of which, there are not many in Ahmedabad, where I stay.

Amit

Amit
As a positive note you have narrated a series of
fascinating  events which keep you active during this year of pandemic .
I almost didn't find any coins of my interest during this year except one .
Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/