News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sultan of Dehli, Ghiyath al din Tughluq, AE Paika, G&G# D314

Started by Saikat, October 22, 2020, 09:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikat

Hi,
This one is classified as common but yet missing in our database. A simple yet elegant example of paika.
Ghiyath al din Tughluq
Wt: 3.68gm
Dia: 13.6 mm
D314 NW470 R1070
Obv: Tughluq
Rev: Shah
No mint or date.
Interestingly two sides have different colour.
Thanks,
Saikat

Figleaf

Beautiful photo, that brings out the power of the simple design and the quality of the coin.

I am worrying about the patina. Are you planning on treating the coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Saikat

Peter,
Thanks! The small dusty particles are just that, muddy remains on the coin. I haven't seen any corrosion on the coin surface so as of now, so it will remain untreated.
Thanks,
Saikat

THCoins

This is another one listed as common which in real live is not seen that often.
On your brilliant photos i do think i see some metal surface corrosion i the form of little colliflower nodules. But it looks stable. I might give it a slight soft brush, but in general i agree, no major cleaning seems needed.

Saikat

I have a feeling that a large lot had been discovered somewhere. One indian coin shop shows the below, and I counted about 50 such coins posted together.
Saikat

THCoins

That's a lot !
I think you are right, patina looks similar. Although largely identical, they do seem to be struck from multiple dies.