Author Topic: South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands: Florence Nightingale  (Read 192 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Pobjoy Mint has released a commemorative 2 pound coin for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands to commemorate 200 years since the birth of Florence Nightingale. 2,750 pieces will be issued of the base-metal version.

The design depicts the values every nurse works to known as Compassion in Practice or the 6Cs … Competence, Communication, Care, Courage, Commitment and Compassion. This code presents the professional standards that nurses, midwives and nursing associates must uphold in order to be registered in the UK

10% of the profit of the coin will be donated to the Cavell Nurses Trust.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands: Florence Nightingale
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
This is the first time a bimetallic 2 pound coin is being released for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. It is also the first coin of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands of which the theme has no connection to the islands themselves. :anger:

I find the font on the reverse of the coin exceptionally ugly. Also I do not understand the choice to include feathers in the design. Wrong issuer, wrong font, wrong design. All in all a disappointing release of the Pobjoy Mint.

Anyway, as always the collectors will buy it regardless.. only 200 coins remaining in stock. If you want one, you better be quick.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »
Don't really like the "theme" font either. The designer could have used the font from the other side, and just adapted the font size. Oh well. As for the wings, that might (as in perhaps, who knows ;D ) refer to the Florence Nightingale quote "When you are born with wings, you should do anything you can and use them to fly."

Christian

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »
This is the first time a bimetallic 2 pound coin is being released for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. It is also the first coin of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands of which the theme has no connection to the islands themselves. :anger:

I find the font on the reverse of the coin exceptionally ugly. Also I do not understand the choice to include feathers in the design. Wrong issuer, wrong font, wrong design. All in all a disappointing release of the Pobjoy Mint.

Anyway, as always the collectors will buy it regardless.. only 200 coins remaining in stock. If you want one, you better be quick.

I totally agree with you in every point of your opinion, but...I got mine ::)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
The coin sold out in 30 minutes. As Pobjoy Mint did not set a maximum per order, there were people who bought hundreds. Unfortunately many people these days just buy coins for the profiteering.

Offline avle64e

• Errare Humanum Est
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
The coin sold out in 30 minutes. As Pobjoy Mint did not set a maximum per order, there were people who bought hundreds. Unfortunately many people these days just buy coins for the profiteering.
I could not buy this coin after 19 minutes after receiving the message in the mail ((( does anyone know if there was an official notification about the planned release of this coin?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
does anyone know if there was an official notification about the planned release of this coin?

There was not.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 11:20:41 PM »
On sale on Ebay for prices between £35 & £50 + p&p. Silver proof £150 + p&p.

Offline MCz

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
First time from longtime, I was able to order few pieces but I ordered immadietly after I red the e-mail (I was already checking my mailbox so noticed it quickly, lucky this time). And even, I added 3 others coins to the basket. This time was no problems with PayPal payment like I had in the past with Hercules coins and order was confirmed.

By the way: if someone interested -> I can swap one or two pieces 2£ SSGS Nigtingale for prevoius 2£ POUNDS 2020 BRITISH ANTARCTIC DISCOVERY OF ANTARCTICA that I was too late to order... (sorry Admin, I know this is not swap topic). Just message me in pvt.