Author Topic: Pellets Island, New York rare token  (Read 86 times)

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Meritorious Member
  • All islands around the world
Pellets Island, New York rare token
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
Wery rarely encountered token, Pellets Island.

This island is not listed on Wikipedia. It was a hill that towered over the marshland, so the name was retained as "island".

This is the only photograph and the only specimen of the token known to me. I don't know anything about his story.

All islands around the world & islands coin

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Pellets Island, New York rare token
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »
I found some information about the issuer of your token but nothing definitive about the business. I saw several auction records for Pahucki tokens but no pictures. One was described as "good for 5 cents" and the other as a "good-for" without value.

Pellet's Island is located across from (or a part of) Goshen, Orange County, New York. Some modern records (Family Search) tell us that John Pahucki Jr. was born in 1918 in Goshen(?) but at the age of 2 lived in Wawayanda, Orange County. I really found no additional details of his life other than those relating to his death in 1975 in New Hampton...part of Goshen, I believe.

The most interesting thing though was the fact that there's a modern day street, apparently in Goshen, named Pahucki Lane. On that lane is a business named Pellet's Island Produce & Grocery with connections to Brenda Pahucki and John Pahucki 3rd. John must be John Jr.s son if he's the 3rd. The information is confusing but I think I'm presenting it correctly.

Maybe this token was for a grocery business run by John Jr. early on...pre-1975.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Meritorious Member
  • All islands around the world
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »
I saw several auction records for Pahucki tokens but no pictures. One was described as "good for 5 cents" and the other as a "good-for" without value.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce!  :) I do not have this information - "good for 5 cents". Can you provide a link to the auction? I will try to search based on this data..
All islands around the world & islands coin

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 08:43:55 PM »
The auction without a value was a fairly recent eBay offering by Steve Hayden. Hayden rarely, if ever, provides a history of anything he sells. There was nothing that would be of help or I would have followed up on it. The auction was over and I couldn't even get a piocture of the token. Often on old eBay auctions you can link to the original offering as it originally appeared, but not on this one.

The 5 cent value token appeared in a token club listing but again had no details or pictures. I'll look a bit more and see if anything else comes up.

Bruce
Always Faithful