Author Topic: Ornate Buwayhid dirham  (Read 121 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Ornate Buwayhid dirham
« on: October 17, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
It took some years, but I finally managed to find an example of this unusual dirham design. I'm curious as to the meaning and what it exactly is.
The Buwayhids, or Buyids, a dynasty ruling much of Persia from 934 to the middle of the eleventh century AD. In fact it is one of many dynasties that were succesful with their first generations (in this case, only two - from 934-983), afterwards falling down hard by infighting between brothers. This coin is from the infighting period.

It's a pretty large dirham, but apparently mediocre silver. The attractive black patina makes it hard to photograph. So I'm adding pictures by the seller, Stephen Album, enabling you (I hope) to read the coin.

Buwayhids, dirham, Sultan al-Dawla (1012-1024). Shiraz, 406 AH (=1015/6). Ornate obverse design, with the Arabic phrase nasr min Allah wa'l-fath qarib, "help is from God, and victory is near". 28.5 mm, 3.88 gr. Album 1581, Treadwell-Sh406.

I'd like to know where to find that Arabic citation on the coin.

-- Paul
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:56:26 PM by THCoins »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Ornate Buwayhid dirham
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
I was lucky enough to acquire one of these (3.65 gm, 28 mm) about 8 years ago, also fascinated by the ornate design of the inscription on the obverse.

However, I am in my usual state of ignorance about the inscriptions, so I wonder if Maythem could work his usual transcription miracle and put us both out of our misery  :)

Mine is actually quite 'white', so I have darkened the image down a bit.

Alan

Offline shiblius

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »
The phrase Nasr Min Allah Wa Fathun Qarib is on the obverse (with the circles) top (Nasr Min Allah) and bottom (wa Fathun Qarib)

Offline shiblius

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
Obverse Center Field:
All the Arabic word La are inscribed as circles: La Ilaha Illa (Allah) Wahdahu La Sharika Lahu, (wa) La Quwata Illa (Billah) (the words in parenthesis are within the ornamental circles)
Words within circles (right to left top to bottom):
1: Al Qadir
2: Billah
3: Allah
4: wa
5: Billah

Reverse Center Field:
Muhammad Rasul Allah / Malik Al Maluk Shahanshah / Imad Al-Din Sultan / Al-Dawlah wa Izz Al-Millah ??? / al-Imam Abu Shuja