Author Topic: Two dirhams from Samarqand?  (Read 102 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Two dirhams from Samarqand?
« on: October 15, 2020, 11:38:25 PM »
I feel a bid stupid that I have to ask. Here are two nice dirhams of the early Abbasid era, I think they are both from Samarqand. The first I know:

AR dirham Abbasids. al-Ma’mun, Samarqand, 198 AH. Pellet below, on mint side. Al-Ma'mun named as iman and amir al-mu'muiasu. Citing al-Fadl. 24 mm, 2.78 gr. Album 223.3.

But the second one keeps eluding me. Is it 238? No. Or yes. It's clear enough! But I can't read it. If it's from 238, one would expect a governor's name: a Tahirid name. But this coin is so clean and devoid of extra lines at the top or the foot of the center. So neat and regular! 25.5 mm, 2.97 gr. But what's its secret?

-- Paul

Offline toofast

• Numismatics of Iran and Turkestan
Re: Two dirhams from Samarqand?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:26:28 AM »
Dear Paul,

The date on the second coin is 217.

--Dmitry

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 04:41:13 AM »
Dear Paul, the inner margin of the two coins read:
First coin:
Abbasid, Khalifa al-Ma’mun خليفة المامون AR Dirham Mint : Samarqand سمرقند , Dated 198 AH (AH 198-218/813-833 AD)
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بسمرقند سنه ثمان وتسعين ومئه  , Dhuriba hatha al-Dirham bi-Samarqand Sanah thaman wa tisa'een wa mia, This dirham was struck in Samaqand in year eight and ninety and one hundred (198).
Second coin:
Abbasid, Khalifa al-Ma’mun خليفة المامون AR Dirham Mint : Samarqand سمرقند , Dated 217 AH (AH 198-218/813-833 AD)
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بسمرقند سنه سبع عشره ومائتين  , Dhuriba hatha al-Dirham bi-Samarqand Sanah ٍsaba' ashrah wa Ma'tayn. This dirham was struck in Samaqand in year seventeen and two hundred (217).

Maythem
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:59:55 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »
Dear Dmitry and Maythem, thank you very much. So the second is a coin of Ma'mun after all. Now I could identify both coins in the Album checklist. The first is 223.3 as the seller had already added.

The other coin has a second outer line of text on the obverse. Is that Quran sura 30, verse 3 and 4? I think this is Album 223.6 with revised calligraphy in the circling text: less horizontally outstretched lettering. However, as I said before, this is a most regular and balanced coin, effective, and most intense and pure in the religious lines that make out the obverse and reverse center.

-- Paul
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:43:54 AM by Pellinore »

Offline shiblius

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
Yes, the outer margin is Quran, chapter 30 (verses 3-4)