Author Topic: Akbar Dam Narnol AH980  (Read 72 times)

Offline TTerrier

Akbar Dam Narnol AH980
« on: October 11, 2020, 04:46:11 AM »
Hi everyone,

Its been some time since I last posted - the pandemic had the effect of making the last five months five of the busiest I've ever had.  Now that a little spare time seems to be available I thought I would get back to working through my Akbar dams - quite a backlog now!

This one is from Narnol - from what I gather Narnol and Bairata in particular are known for designs that far exceed the size of the flan, making them difficult to identify.  I have one Bairata I am working on that I can see enough of the mint and it has a clear date but almost the entire inscription is off the coin.

Now to this one:

Akbar dam, KM#28.41, 20.29gm, 19 mm, AH980

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar Dam Narnol AH980
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »
From the very helpful overlays, it is clear to me that the design is not off-flan to a much larger degree than usual. Perhaps the difficulty with Narnol and Bairata is the thick character type they are using. To me, that is helpful in identification, though, as I cannot read the script, but thick lined characters are a hint on in which direction to start looking.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.