Author Topic: Celluloid Manufacture London - imitation Ottoman  (Read 241 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Celluloid Manufacture London - imitation Ottoman
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
A most peculiar piece and the first of its kind that I've ever seen. An imitation Ottoman advertising Celluloid. Most Strange.
19 mm, 1.0 gr.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Celluloid Manufacture London - imitation Ottoman
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »
A fascinating piece, which would go well with my small collection of Ottoman imitations :).

I think the 'ECC' refers to the English Celluloid Company (see https://numistoria.com/en/england/11901-english-celluloid-company-ltd.html) but I'm not sure about the 'CNC': there was an American 'Celluloid Manufacturing Co.', and a 'Compagnie Francaise de Celluloid', but of course neither of those would fit.

Alan

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
Thanks Alan, I just love this piece simply because it has broadened the horizons of the imitation ottoman. I have struggled to find any of the copies of French propaganda pieces after the defeat of Abd el-Krim, which are proving difficult. This could lead me to a new obsession.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »
A fascinating piece, which would go well with my small collection of Ottoman imitations.

I'd love to see some of those. I am sure they go well beyond the mundane clothing decoration items and nobody ever did any research on them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:20 PM »
Peter, there are only about a dozen, mostly of common types which you will almost certainly have seen before. The only slightly different one is below, a imitation of a 2 rumi altin of Mahmud III, 2.57 gm and 31 mm. I particularly like the trumpet below the tugrah.

The other image is a real rumi altin (2.39 gm and 22.5 mm) which shows that the copy is actually quite accurate.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
That Trumpet earned a grin from me also. Thank you!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
So is it brass or celluloid? you don't say.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.