Author Topic: Denominational anomalies of the euro collector coins  (Read 448 times)

Online Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Denominational anomalies of the euro collector coins
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 04:10:53 AM »
Thanks, Aditya, I should have realized that. Still, expressing the denomination as 700 cents seems odd to me. It would be the same as expressing the value of a US dollar as 100 cents. Accurate, but it would confuse the heck out of everybody.

Bruce

The coin was issued to commemorate 700th Anniversary hence they took the liberty of issuing a 700 Euro cent coin. A 700 Euro coin would have impossible to sell.
There is a recent trend to issue collector coins in denomination matching anniversary years.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Thanks, Pabitra. That makes sense then.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »
Keep in mind that many of those "odd figures" are due to the fact that euro collector coins can, by law, not have the same denominations as circulation and commemorative coins. Ah well, since the collector pieces are not supposed to be used for everyday payments anyway (and most of them are surcharged pieces), that does not really matter. ;)

I think that the idea, initially, was that the national mints would simply issue collector coins with high denominations. This way you would have had the 1 cent to 2 euro "range" for circulating pieces, and €5, €10, etc. could have been for collector coins. Well, some mints came up with lower face values very soon, issuing brass or Cu-Ni 1.50 or 2.50 pieces. And it went on from there. When Austria started issuing their glow-in-the-dark pieces, they picked €3 as the denomination for that series ...

Christian