Author Topic: 2002 Austria 2 Euro coin  (Read 398 times)

Offline Daniel178

2002 Austria 2 Euro coin
« on: October 02, 2020, 10:10:42 PM »
Hello everybody. I'm writing my first post in this forum and I hope I will not break any rules of it.
I found 2002 years 2 euro coins of Austria with error. It's hard to find any information about this coin worth, one site says that it's 40$-50$ worth, on ebay someone sells for 120$ so it's hard to form an opinion how much it worth.
Mint defect is on reverse side, it has a dot on the nose, I noted it with red circle.
Thank You for any answer.
P.S I apologise for bad photo quality.

Offline Daniel178

Re: 2002 Austria 2 Euro coin
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
Don't know how to post more than one photo in one message..Sorry.

Offline Daniel178

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »
Hello Daniel,

It looks like someone dropped a tool on the die. While it doesn't happen frequently, it does happen more often. :)

The same goes for finding buyers. Foolish buyers are not common, but they do occur. There is no deep market for such errors, so there is not enough information on price. The anecdotes are amazing, but not typical for what happens. You will find that there is a degree of interest in errors among collectors, but it's up to you to find the foolish ones.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Daniel178

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
Thank You, Peter.

I'm not trying to sell it, I want to keep it for my own collection. I just want to know is it worth anything or no :)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »
A tool having been dropped on the die is possible, but it is much more likely and common that a chip has simply broken out of the die because of wear. The gap that remains is incuse, just like the design on the minting die and with every strike it is being filled with the alloy of the blanks, leaving these blobs.

I would say it is worth slightly above face value although there are indeed foolish collectors out there who may be willing to pay more for it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 09:16:15 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 11:44:24 PM »
Is the nose growth on top of the coin (en relief) or inside the metal (incuse)?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Daniel178

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »
It's on top. I will take camera with better quality and will try to take new picture of it.
I found a video in Youtube with same defect.
https://youtu.be/ulThde_9bjA

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
That means die damage. A small piece of metal falling out of the coin would have required a bad metal mixture and would have caused an incuse pit. Also, that sort of damage usually comes in flakes (a sliver of the surface falling off), rather than deep pits. The hair damage shown in the Youtube video is more likely caused by a small piece of metal getting stuck in the press. Flans are washed and dies polished before they meet, but stuff can still hide within the press, coming out of hiding only while the press operates. It is unlikely that such pieces damage the die, because obviously, dies are harder than flans, while tools, for the same reason, are harder than dies. The dropping tool was not necessarily in human hands. Machines make every possible mistake imaginable given enough due time.

Peter

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:10 PM »
I meant a piece of metal (chip) falling out of the minting die as it was worn. That would leave an incuse pit in the minting die. Everything that is incuse on the minting die shows raised on the coin. Because of wear, metal chips can break out of the minting die and leave blobs.

As I wrote, it remains possible that the die was damaged as a tool or something was dropped on top of it, which too would leave an incuse pit on the die. I do, however, consider this scenario to be less likely.

Offline Daniel178

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
Thank You for answers, interesting to hear every opinion, sometimes it's hard to imagine what are You talking about  ;D I'm not a speciallist of coinage and I understand only such things as my eyes see.
All in all, what is Your opinion to clean and keep this coin for myself? Or it's not worth it?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 09:47:43 PM »
All in all, what is Your opinion to clean and keep this coin for myself? Or it's not worth it?

Cleaning coins is never a good idea. So if you ever find a coin that you think may be valuable, do not clean it! Cleaned coins lose most of their value. As for this piece, it is a small error that adds close to no value. I would probably just spend it.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »
For me it looks like PMD (post mint damage)! There is no prime on that.
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 09:30:55 PM »
This is what must be the same type of thing but on a British 20 Pence piece.

To me it rather seems to be die damage. I have more than just this piece for the 20 Pence... only what I have had from change.

It seems that this is encountered more on the 20 Pence coins than on other British coins.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker