Fake or Error Coin - Edward VII 1907

Started by Paulsoumyaj, September 30, 2020, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulsoumyaj

Inherited this 1907 Edward VII silver one rupee that is in a fair condition. Matches with KM#508 but weighs 12.20gms as against standard 11.66gms.

In the below pictures (reference coin picture taken from net) I have tried to highlight differences that I could detect.

Requesting views from others.

Figleaf

If you are sure about the weight, this is a fake. My guess is that it is an electrotype. The problem with that faking technology is that you can do it with one side at a time only and the inside will be hollow. The space inside will be filled with a cheap metal (often tin), making it difficult to get the weight right. An electrotype will often show a seam along the edge (the third dimension of the coin). However, the seam may be cleverly hidden, eg in the border of the edge of either face or under an extra layer of metal, with the reeding filed in. Check the border of the piece for irregularities and see if the thickness is the same as that of a piece known to be genuine.

Electrotyping was a known technology in 1907, but more likely to be practiced in e.g. the UK than in India. It was used by well-heeled coin collectors (those without heels would use plaster ;)) to create fillers for coins they didn't have.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Henk

Rupees of 1907 are common. No need for a "filler" thus hardly likeley to be an electrotype. I think it more likely to be a cast copy in lead or a tin-lead alloy, silvered afterwards. This type of fake is quite common. In this case the edge would give it a way as the reeding will be irregular. So, compate the edge with a genuine specimen. Please post a picture of the edge and also a larger size picture of the reverse?

Figleaf

It doesn't have the tell-tale pockmarks of casting and casting does not automatically result in a bungled edge. However, whether electrotyped or cast, the conclusion is the same: fake.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Paulsoumyaj

I guess the weight is a give away. Still posting some more pics...

Figleaf

Thanks. The big picture indeed gave me more insight. The toothed border has disappeared (a clear indication that the coin is a fake) to the point where it interfered with the lower side of the date. I see nothing wrong with the segment of the edge you show.

Peter

Paulsoumyaj

Ran a XRF test on the coin to assess the metal content.

Outcome : 66% Copper, 31% Zinc, 0.6% Silver, 0.6% Lead & 0.4% Iron

Figleaf

Copper, with silvery coating. Not an electrotype - no signs of a seem on the edge but undoubtedly fake.

Peter