Author Topic: South Korea likely to redesign its 100 won coin  (Read 279 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
South Korea likely to redesign its 100 won coin
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »
South Korea is seriously considering to release a new standard circulating 100 won coin. In 2009 an investigation found that the portrait of Admiral Yi Sun-sin that can be seen on the reverse of the coin is a copy of a painting by a pro-Japanese collaborator. It was also found that the portraits of several South Koreans that can be seen on the South Korean banknotes of 5000, 10,000 and 50,000 won were also based on paintings of pro-Japanese collaborators. These banknotes will likely be amended too.

As for the 100 won coin it is not yet known if the possible new coin will feature a different portrait of Admiral Yi Sun-sin or whether someone or something else will be depicted on the reverse of the coin.

The current South Korean 100 won coin:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:22:35 AM by eurocoin »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: South Korea likely to redesign its 100 won coin
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 08:08:56 AM »
I thought a few years ago that South Korea had announced its intention to phase coins out altogether.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
South Korea likely to redesign its 100 won coin
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:50:41 AM »
I thought a few years ago that South Korea had announced its intention to phase coins out altogether.

Yeah, my uncle spent close to six months in Seoul few years back and he didn't see much coins circulating...

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
Intentions do not always turn in to ground reality.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:20:10 AM »
Besides, that Korea Herald article says that three of the banknote portraits are also based on paintings done by "collaborators".

What I find interesting is that the coins shows a "naval hero (...) who scored dramatic victories against Japanese invaders in the southern seas". So it is not the theme of the coin and notes that is under scrutiny but the way the theme is depicted?

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »