Author Topic: Not so small collection  (Read 1228 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Not so small collection
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »
More information here. Company site there. Research on the logo colours needed.

Peter
According to the system history the logo and colors (orange / turquoise) were adopted in 1960 and are "characteristic of the 1960s era" No rocket science there apparently. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2020, 08:53:32 PM »
I knew the 1960s logo colors reminded me of something. Same as the Miami Dolphind football team. The team was founded in 1966 so maybe the colors orange and turquoise were a 1960s thing.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »
Staying with the motif...1970 Miami Broad Causeway Bridge token :-)  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces62659.html  Same on both side, no mint mark. 
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »
Going through this bag, these two made me laugh :-)  Twins separated at birth?  Must have came from the same mint.  I've not got a date for either yet but I'm guessing 1950s-60s.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
This is a good example of how you can "connect the dots". Yes, the two are obviously produced by the same enterprise, so if you find who made one, you have pretty good info on who produced the other. Incidentally, I have seen that bus with three front windows before in this thread. Mind the date range of the third token. Another clue that can be applied to the two above.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »
Peter, you are correct...1934 Juliet line token.  Triplets ?  Makes me modify my dates and helps with the research.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2020, 06:20:35 AM »
Scouill made millions of tokens all across the country.  Makes sense.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: You found a major manufacturer. By Googling Scovill with other keywords you can already extract good information.

I suggest you head here. If you do a search on Scovill you get lots of juicy hits, all of prime quality, since the source is a university worthy of the name. Here's a fun illustration from their files.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
Scovill certainly was a major manufacturer of tokens and, surprisingly, buttons, especially military buttons. A great company to research with a long well documented history. I've done so many times.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Makes sense.

They also made cents, that is the blanks for them ;)

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2020, 05:13:02 PM »
This railway has an interesting history and I suspect the token was made by the same company.  Gary Railways Inc.  1950, Indiana.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Railway
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »
Good link and fun suspicion. Still, a suspicion should have a question mark in your files until it becomes a near-certainty. For the sake of completeness, there is a paragraph on the "history" of the system, starting in 1974 on the site of the agency.

Wikipedia does a better job, but the lemma still reads like a come-on for the site of the agency. The lists of routes are of interest to locals only. The history part is quite weak, with few dates, the name on the token isn't even mentioned, there is no list of bus and other equipment types used in the past or even now and nothing on historical logos and liveries.

I used a similar text as the above para on the talk page of the lemma. I hope that helps.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »
They also made cents, that is the blanks for them ;)

Peter
And zippers :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2020, 10:03:14 PM »
This one got eaten by my robo-vac...the wife found it and it's really kind of neat.  1920-1929 Minneapolis transit token.  Re-found it, had to post it :-)  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces41319.html  Interesting design. (I blame the cat)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:58:28 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg