Author Topic: Not so small collection  (Read 1224 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Not so small collection
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »
In case you were wondering, the female counterpart of mac is nana.

Peter

Nana is also used over here sometimes to describe your grandmother.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
Another not so common one...Scranton, Pennsylvania, Railway token.  I've not found a lot of information but I believe it dates anywhere from 1934 to 1954.  Numista rates it's rarity at 97.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
I like this one, Greg. I wonder if the reduced fare is meant for seniors or students.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2020, 05:36:05 AM »
You all in trouble now :-)  My drug dealer struck again.

I'm just starting to go through this bag...madness!  This might take a while.  Love it!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:57:12 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2020, 07:11:57 AM »
The best drug I can think of. Take your time, Greg.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
You all in trouble now :-)  My drug dealer struck again.

I'm just starting to go through this bag...madness!  This might take a while.  Love it!

Go for it, Greg! I have a phone number for a drug rehab on my desk just in case I need it. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »
OK, deep breath ;-)  Here is a very nice 1948 Portsmouth, Virginia, transit token.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces160427.html
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
Philadelphia, PA, to Camden, NJ, bridge token.  I believe this design was issued in the 1940s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Philadelphia_Transportation_Company_(PTC)_Bridge_Line_&_Fare_Tokens.jpg
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
Once you know what the legends mean, the next thing to do would be to give the tokens a date range. The exact name of the company or agency, including such niceties as "inc." or "co." of the token will be an important clue. Names change relatively often. A date range will lead to a denomination if you can find tariffs. In that way, your token will look more and more like a coin. The advanced stage would be to find the company logo of the time of the token and photos of trams, trolleys and busses pictured on the tokens as well as an explanation of other stuff pictured on the token, such as signatures or even not on the token, such as the livery colours (the colour scheme of the fleet). You can't find everything about all of the token, but as you get better at the research, you can get more than you think.

The best start of research is Wikipedia. Below the general information may be footnotes and links. Think of noting the predecessor and successor company names as keywords for more searches. As you do generic searches with the keywords you found, you will find sites of rail transport enthusiasts. These can be useful to bookmark.

It is useful to start a data base of the tokens and your findings. I would suggest using Excel. As columns, I would use:
  • inventory # - a unique sequential number you use to locate the token, its scan/photo, other photos or written comments quickly
  • catalogue # - If you use more than one, make a separate column for catalogue and number
  • state
  • town
  • company name
  • denomination - or lack of it
  • first year of date range
  • last year of date range
  • price - what people paid to buy the token
  • side 1 - not yet described design elements, with inventory # of explanation, e.g. "signature: Tim Cook 2431"
  • side 2 - as side 1
  • metal
  • diameter
  • weight
  • magnetism
  • manufacturer
  • livery - inventory #
  • comments - anything else you want to note. You can use this column also for tokens you want to replace with a better specimen.

These are my personal preferences. I don't care who I bought it from, what I paid for it or what grade it is in. Your mileage may differ. You can use such a data base to apply filters. That will lead to more research possibilities, e.g. getting a picture of what metals were (not) used during world wars or what the turnstiles checked on (weight? dianmeter? magnetism?) or even getting an idea of how to recognise the work of certain manufacturers, which could lead to archive research to retrieve mintages, though that's pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 04:37:19 AM »
Peter, that sounds like a bit of work!  I photo,  save, and  post, then put them in coin containers and library  'em with all the available information.  I like your idea about hunting down the company.  I'll work on that.  The most time consuming recearch is figuring dates!  Thanks for the tips (again!)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »
It's zero work. It's a way to spend your time agreeably and when you want to spend it, without a boss or an officer telling you what to do and checking if you have done it. It's your decision, of course, but remember that the longer you wait, the more of an effort it will be just starting it up.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
Not to mention it's a ton of fun, Greg. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »
Good points, all.  I've already started but this will take some time :-)  In the interim here is a kind of fun one...Alameda-Contra Costa, California, 1961 transit token.  http://numismatics.org/collection/1962.171.5
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »
Gotta love the dated ones. It helps a lot in researching the token.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
More information here. Company site there. Research on the logo colours needed.

Peter