Author Topic: Not so small collection  (Read 1226 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: Not so small collection
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 07:25:24 AM »
I like the signature on your rev.  Makes me wonder about the lack of on mine.  Agree with the lack of denomination/fare as well.  Thanks for posting!  Research is ongoing.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 09:33:37 AM »
The signature is of the improbably named Rolla Wells.

Similar tokens with value indication exist.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
Here is a 1955 Cincinnati bus/trolley token.  Interesting graphics.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21173.html  Sorry about the first link :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »
Wikipedia has more information that dates this token 1951-1965, the period that there were trolleybuses in Cincinnati.

There is a funny disconnect between the bus and the trolley. The trolley is obviously longer than the bus, but the two are designed to look like they are of equal length on the token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »
Peter, that is what I was seeing in the graphics.   As a bit of an artist I found it different.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 12:32:56 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding information on this one.  Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.  I think 1930s to 1940s but I'm not really sure yet.  Fun token!

Update...the wife thinks it is 1990ish.  I was looking in the wong place again ?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:52:13 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 09:30:14 AM »
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. Issued 1990.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
For a little more information, including an explanation of EAST BANK see here. The company web site is here. The tokens are still sold in rolls of 10 for $15. This price is the same as a full base fare without transfer. The company suggests that they would be of use for companies wishing to subsidise travel to and from work. Pupils would probably be better off with a monthly pass and passengers eligible for concessions (those whose age is above age 65 and disabled persons) cannot use them.

I have been unable to identify the minibus on the token. It may be a fantasy.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
After researching this one it turns out that it's pretty scarce...1977 Syracuse, NY, student Centro Inc. transit token.  Numista puts at a 95 (scale is 0-100).
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2020, 07:46:37 PM »
Here is a fun one...Topeka, Kansas, bus token.  Had a hard time nailing down a date but I believe it's 1950.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces65088.html
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 01:00:44 AM »
McToken...sold through McDonald's it seems. Five tokens for the purchase of a Happy Meal?  ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 06:04:36 AM »
Dosn't look like McDonald to me but you might be right :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
This source says that Perce Harvey claimed copyright (see © at 9 o'clock) for Handy McToken as an advertising device on 15th May 1948. That excludes McDonald, I think.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
I was just having some fun with the McDonalds thing. So many of their products are named Mc this and Mc that...McChicken sandwich for an example. :) McDonals didn't come along until a bit later.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
You will be amused to know that in French, mac is a colloquial (teenager) word for a young man. France harbours more macs than Scotland or the US :) In case you were wondering, the female counterpart of mac is nana.

Also, Perce Harvey claimed his copyright while living in NY. However, he later moved to Topeka. The token must have been a pretty important event in his life.

Peter