Author Topic: Not so small collection  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Not so small collection
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »
Thomas Nesbitt McCarter was the founder and first president of the Public Service Corporation, whose transport branch was Public Service Coordinated Transport, later Transport of New Jersey. The rest of Public Service Corporation was called Public Service Electric and Gas, now Public Service Electric and Gas Company. He held the position from 1903 to 1939. There are later tokens of the same company.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:23:19 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
I also found the PSCT car on the token. Frustratingly, although it seems to have been common, I haven't found the brand and type. To compensate, I am including the interior of a car of this period.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
Thomas Nesbitt McCarter was the founder and first president of the Public Service Corporation, whose transport branch was Public Service Coordinated Transport, later Transport of New Jersey. The rest of Public Service Corporation was called Public Service Electric and Gas, now Public Service Electric and Gas Company. He held the position from 1903 to 1939. There are later tokens of the same company.

Peter
An interesting history of the company, one I wasn't aware of. I also didn't know that there was a connection to Transport of New Jersey. Learning is a wonderful result of our hobby...if you're paying attention.

I always thought of P.S.E.& G. as the people who I've "donated" many thousands of dollars to over the years for my electric service. I actually have a high opinion of them as they've done a good job of keeping us up and running through many bouts of bad weather...including a few hurricanes. Kudos to them.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
More of their history here, from page 15. This looks like a recent publication. You may still be able to get your hands on it.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
I also found the PSCT car on the token. Frustratingly, although it seems to have been common, I haven't found the brand and type. To compensate, I am including the interior of a car of this period.

Peter
I remember seeing many similar street cars like this in Camden and Philly when I was younger.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 08:06:01 PM »
Hey, I'm having fun!  This is therapeutic ;-)   Here's a fun one, United Railways of St Lewis, 1919.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces121113.html  That's in nice condition as well.  No rev. lettering on this one, though...head scratcher.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:20:10 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
United Railways of St Lewis, 1919.

Salacious history here and background there.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »
Buffalo, NY railroad token

See here and note how the central I (for IRC) has "fallen over" in relation to the rest of the design. Fun to see how opening of the international bridge near the Niagara Fall facilitated a rare international tramway line (it's not a railway, but they did cover the same field. I followed the route by Greyhound bus, but did the international bridge on foot.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
  No rev. lettering on this one, though...head scratcher.
Can't say as I've seen one like this before. I suppose it would be good for one fare or ride.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
I can't get a lot of information on this.  1934 Joliet City Lines, Illinois, school bus token.  Never seen this one :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 10:24:49 PM »
A bus token, obviously. More information here. This allows the token to be dated 1934-1936.

A school bus token serves to allow students (the US equivalent of pupils) to take a bus at a reduced rate, probably on certain conditions, narrowing the concession to transport to and from schools, such as not valid on Sundays and during school holidays. The service apparently still exists as First Student Inc..

The bus looks like it doesn't have any doors on the right, so I suspect it is a fantasy.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:44:09 PM by Figleaf »

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 10:38:24 PM »
My wife grew up in Philadelphia and used public transportation to go back and forth to school. PTC sold small plastic bags (10 I think) of tokens for students and chargeed 80 cents. This was probably reduced fare, but she doesn't recall if it were or not.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 10:07:58 PM »
1979 (not as old as the previous posts but still not overly common) Colorado RTD.  Little history... https://denver.streetsblog.org/2019/03/13/rtd-at-50-the-50-most-fascinating-facts-stats/  It's the same on both sides.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »
Regarding the St Louis token with blank reverse: I have a similar one with the same date, but with the Receiver's signature on the other side. But it still has no explicit mark of value - no "good for one fare" or similar.