Author Topic: Yerevan metro token. I almost ate it.  (Read 145 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Yerevan metro token. I almost ate it.
« on: November 01, 2020, 12:46:36 AM »
Bought a few funnies. This is a token of the metro of Yerevan in Armenia. That metro was opened in 1981 and pretty modern, too, but it's now underfunded and crumbling as things are difficult in this much plagued, heroic little country.

The semitransparent token looks very much like a wine gum, sweet orange taste, so I have to keep restraining myself: don't bite! don't swallow!

Armenia Yerevan Subway, Yerevan token. Metro orange plastics, 25 mm, 0.83 gr.

-- Paul

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Yerevan metro token. I almost ate it.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »
You have done well to photograph it so clearly  :)

I usually resort to making a rubbing with a pencil and paper and then scanning that, when it comes to these translucent metro tokens. Armenia isn't the only country to use them - many former Soviet states do.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
Rather than holding the token at an angle, make the light come in at an (extreme) angle. Same effect, but the token remains round.

BTW, the name of the statue is David. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
You've caught me very early in the morning here, Paul. Haven't had my coffee yet and I'm hungry...real hungry now. ;D

Thanks for showing your "delicious" token. I haven't seen a translucent one before so it's something new for me. Great picture too.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
Here's one that's both colourless and see-through, and consequently hard to get a picture of. Therefore I've added the scan of the rubbing to my records as well.

It is an interurban telephone token from Novgorod in Russia, with MTA in relief on one side and blank on the other (though clearly the letters show through in mirror form).

Usually these tokens have MTC (Latin MTS) for Междугородная телефонная служба, Mezhdugorodnaya telefonnaya sluzhba, or "interurban telephone service". I'm not actually sure what the A stands for - I'm guessing in this case it is something like Междугородное телефонное агенство, Mezhdugorodnoye telefonnoye agenstvo, or "interurban telephone agency". The tokens for local calls have ГТС or ГТА (GTS/GTA) where the G stands for городская/городское, or "town/urban".

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
Those rubbings work well if they're done carefully like yours. Really shows a lot of detail that would be hard to see on a picture. I've used them before especailly on counterstamps and dark, worn coins and tokens.

Bruce
Always Faithful