Author Topic: Counter of Ch. Fuchs vom Fuchstal zu Laufenburg  (Read 319 times)

Offline carpatic

Counter of Ch. Fuchs vom Fuchstal zu Laufenburg
« on: September 30, 2020, 07:27:10 AM »
Hi. I am struggling with this one and I would appreciate your help.
The shield design resambles somehow the coins from Zurich and I think that I can read CONFED ( or maybe is CONF LD?)
The date, as I could read it, seems 1593.
It is 2.55g, 22mm
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:40:24 AM by Figleaf »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: possible Swiss canton - help ID
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »
FWIW, I read:

+ DEVM 159x CONFIDE D ET A

The arms of Zürich are a field diagonally divided. I see a leaping deer in the first and fourth quarter. The second and third quarter look different to me. It doesn't add up to a Swiss canton.

On the other side, starting at 5 o'clock,  CHSP:ZV

If ZV is a single word, it would point to a German speaking area.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:38:27 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline carpatic

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 06:19:51 AM »
Thanks Figleaf, very good points. So it could be from a German state. I have tried to find a coat of arms with double deer, or double stag, like this, with no success so far. I'll keep investigating, meanwhile I appreciate any further help.

Offline carpatic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
I have advanced a step, I have finally found a reference, in the Numismatische Zeitung Bl. Für Münz, Wappen u. Siegelkunde, 1841. I do not know German and I find it hard to read the gothic script of the paper, but from what I get it might not be a coin but  sort of commemorative jetton. Maybe those of you who know German can figure it out better.
The full script should be
CH. FVCHS. V. FVCHST. ZV. LAVFENB. RITTR.
CONFIDE. D. ET. A[?] DEVM 1590
So it should come them from Laufenburg, a German-Swiss little town, which had its own coinage earlier in the 14th century.
I would love to see another more modern reference to this thing.
Find the reference here https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_67FMAAAAcAAJ/page/n79/mode/2up
page 84/112 (page 157 in the original), entry 35 (left on page)

Offline carpatic

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
Then I've renewed the search on the Swiss cantons and I have finally found what I think to be the matching coat of arms, for Chur.
See these coins:
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=369&lot=1385
https://www.ma-shops.fr/klein/item.php?id=3003
https://www.ma-shops.fr/raffler/item.php?id=15754
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=4125&lot=5343

Still not a match with mine but getting closer...

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:23 AM »
Very good research. This helps a lot. First, the arms on your piece are not the arms of Chur, but there is a vague relation through the climbing animal. That means that there are two possibilities: the arms are of a bishop of Chur, or they are the arms of a minor nobility family. In 1590, the bishop of Chur was Peter von Rascher, so we are left only with the second possibility.

The link in your reply #4 brings us further. Fuchs vom Fuchstal zu Laufenburg is the family name of the issuer. Fuchstal is near Munich, while Laufenburg is near Basel, but still in Germany. The original title is apparently knight of Fuchstal. Laufenburg is the seat of the family, likely the best palace in their lands. The climbing fox is obviously not a goat, so there is no connection with Chur.

On to the piece itself. It is indeed described under number 35 in the archived magazine you found. There is not much new in the description, except that the animal in the first and fourth quarter is identified as a fox. Incidently, the right helmet on the other side are surmounted by a fox. The heading of the article is: "Nachtrag zu den in Reinhardt's K.-K. und in dieser Zeitschrift beschriebenen Jettons der Münz- und Kammermeister (beschluß)". While this title is not 100% clear to me, it goes in the direction of Final addition to the (catalogue of) tokens of financial supervisors described in this magazine and by Reinhardt (reference to Austrian royal protection). The sub-heading is "H. Familien-Jettons" - family tokens.

I would conclude that your piece is likely to be a counter, issued by the head of an accounting service (Kammerherr der Rechenkammer) of a higher nobleman. In modern terms, the knight of Fuchstal would be in charge of making sure that his employer would not be robbed by his own accounting staff. That (like present-day "managers" :)) wouldn't count as work (nobility could lose its title if they took a job), get him an income nevertheless as well as access to at least one influential nobleman.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:59:04 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Counter of Ch. Fuchs vom Fuchstal zu Laufenburg
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »
For information, the relevant text from the link in your reply #4.

Peter

35) Av. Umschrift: CH.FVCHS. V. FVCHST. ZV. LAVFENB. RITTR.  In einem Zirkel ein oben mit einer Lilie und an den Seiten henkelartig verziertes quadrirtes spanisches Schild, im ersten und vierten Felde ein rechtsspringender Fuchs, im zweiten und dritten eine Spitze.
Rev. Umschrift: CONFIDE. D. ET ....... 1590. In einem Zirkel zwei verzierte Helme, auf dem rechten ein sitzender Fuchs von der rechten Seite, auf dem linken ein geschlossener Flug.

Offline carpatic

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:29:40 AM »
Hi Figleaf. Thank you very much for your explanation. I undestand that it has an interesting historical value. Not a numismatic one though.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »
It has a numismatic value, but there are less collectors of "Rechenpfennige" than coins. Moreover, modern numismatic scientists tend to be uninterested in anything that is not a coin. Even though supply is smaller, demand is also smaller. However, this is a perfectly legitimate numismatic item that has a story to tell, if people will only listen.

Peter