News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kenya: New Series of Coins and Banknotes 2018

Started by Figleaf, November 20, 2009, 11:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

So, Kenya is done. What does that leave? Nigeria! As for me, I think it's time that Madagascar issued a totally new thematic set, preferably including some of its wildlife. See: What's your wish list for new national circulation sets?.

Incidentally, does Sierra Leone have a full circulating set these days?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

redlock

malawi

eurocoin

Well, that's surprising. At very long last  ::) The designs look ok although I am surprised there are no higher denominations. The highest denomination of 20 shillings equals to 17 euro cents/15 pence.

Pabitra

Kenya had a circulating 40 shilling ( a rather odd denomination) commemorative coin. They could have planned a 50 shilling coin.

malawi

eurocoin

Figleaf

Well done, eurocoin. Fast news is nice to have. True news is indispensable.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

The Central Bank of Kenya refuses to say where the new coins were minted.

Big_M

Circumstantial evidence would suggest British Royal Mint.

Bimat

Quote from: Pabitra on December 11, 2018, 06:15:20 PM
Kenya had a circulating 40 shilling ( a rather odd denomination) commemorative coin. They could have planned a 50 shilling coin.

A friend of mine lived in Kenya for some 3-4 years and she doesn't remember seeing one in change. IIRC, the coin commemorated 40th anniversary of independence?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Big_M

Quote from: Bimat on December 12, 2018, 03:34:08 PM
A friend of mine lived in Kenya for some 3-4 years and she doesn't remember seeing one in change. IIRC, the coin commemorated 40th anniversary of independence?

Yes, it is a Kenya@40 coin, in fact it must have circulated as there are many heavily damaged on the market. Only few were issued in special collectors holder.

Pabitra

That is right.
1963-2003 but issued only in 2010

Big_M

Quote from: Pabitra on December 12, 2018, 08:15:30 PM
That is right.
1963-2003 but issued only in 2010

Are you sure they were only issued in 2010? Certainly, they were gazetted in December 2003, see link.

http://kenyalaw.org/kl/fileadmin/pdfdownloads/LegalNotices/2003/210-CentralBankofKenyaAct_DescriptionofNewIssueofFortyShillingsCoinandTwoHundredShillingsNote__2003.pdf

Pabitra

Perhaps approved in 2003, minted subsequently but issued(?).

I think this coin, showing the third president, was the one which caused all the uproar and led to constitutional amendment which added article 231(4) in 2010,  mandating issue of new currency without depiction of any person. This was in 2010 and mandated the new currency to be issued by 2015and then only this coin was released. The new coins finally just got issued in 2018 and we still await the notes, if at all they are to be issued.