News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gibraltar: World War Two 50p set (2004)

Started by andyg, November 19, 2009, 09:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Not sure when these were made, this is the first I've seen of them.

These are not in 2010 Krause.

andyg

The portrait is also much better struck than the standard circs.

andyg

Quote from: Hardly Strong on November 20, 2009, 12:41:50 AM
When I got my 2004 set, this is what I got:

50p.  The Battle of Trafalgar, 1805.

I think there is a Battle of Trafalgar in a similar style to the above as well as the standard circ.

africancoins

Likely those nicely mint Gibraltar coins were initial just sold through one distributoe e.g. Westminster Collections (if they do Gibrlatar - and I think they do).....

Guernsey had low mintage (likely none for ciruculation) - better made - HIGHER priced 50 Pence (normal shape and size) in 2000...  it cost me 3 Pounds something back then I think (no packaging)...... They may have had others since.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

andyg

Quote from: africancoins on November 20, 2009, 01:04:30 AM
Likely those nicely mint Gibraltar coins were initial just sold through one distributoe e.g. Westminster Collections (if they do Gibrlatar - and I think they do).....

Guernsey had low mintage (likely none for ciruculation) - better made - HIGHER priced 50 Pence (normal shape and size) in 2000...  it cost me 3 Pounds something back then I think (no packaging)...... They may have had others since.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

2000 was Battle of Britain commemorative.
Jersey / Guernsey / Alderney also did a 2003 set for the coronation - these issued with Stamps in PNC I believe.
I have some loose somewhere, they make good money on Ebay!

andyg

Quote from: AJG on November 20, 2009, 01:03:46 AM
I think there is a Battle of Trafalgar in a similar style to the above as well as the standard circ.

As it turned out I was wrong on this ~ there is no battle of Trafalgar coin other than the standard version.

cuhaj

These 2004 military theme 50 Pence coins are now listed on Numismaster, with images, and will be in the 6th edition of SCWC 21st Century. The hold KM#1084-1088.

George Cuhaj
Editor
SCWC

andyg

hehe, that's because I sent them to you George (the very same andyg!)
I notice however on numismaster that the Christmas 50p image of 2004 I sent has been replaced by the portrait from one of the above though ;)

A bit more info on this issue - they were part of a coin programme "soldiers in battle" from the Westminster mint.  I've also seen some of them struck in gold, so it's reasonable to assume that they all exist in gold.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

africancoins

"Westminster mint"....

Rather - made by "Tower Mint" ((((distributed by "The Westminster Collection")))).....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

sonnyoneshine

Quote from: andyg on November 19, 2009, 09:39:41 PM
Not sure when these were made, this is the first I've seen of them.

These are not in 2010 Krause.
there are actually six in the set not five, I know I have them all.

Figleaf

Can you post a picture of number six?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Here is no. 6

picture retrieved from ebay....

This is the silver proof version - do Cu-ni versions of this one exist?

sonnyoneshine

hi, ref. to the gibraltar 2004 set which I reported that there was 6 in the set and not 5, well someone posted a photo of the 6th one and said that this was a picture off ebay of a silver one & did nickel ones exsist, well the set I have are nickel but I also have one coin in silver, was told by the seller from gibraltar that the silver ones were only of a run of 100 set's making them very rare... p.s. I missed out on a full set of silver in box on ebay in the last few seconds earlier this year, thought I'd got them, then pipped with 8 sec's to go... that's autions. hope that helps someone. sonnyoneshine.

UK Decimal +

Re, the above "50p coins" (if that's what they are), does anyone know whether they are legal tender in Gibraltar?

They certainly don't appear on the Government of Gibraltar, Treasury Department website.

There may be other "coins" also involved.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

andyg

Quote from: UK Decimal + on November 04, 2011, 01:51:42 AM
Re, the above "50p coins" (if that's what they are), does anyone know whether they are legal tender in Gibraltar?

They certainly don't appear on the Government of Gibraltar, Treasury Department website.

There may be other "coins" also involved.

Bill.

These were collector coins made under contract by the tower mint.
I doubt very much if they were ever intended for circulation.