Author Topic: Hindu Shahi's of Kabul & Ohind: Sri Samanta Deva, Jital, Bull-Horseman, Tye 15.1  (Read 156 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Hindu Shahis of Kabul & Ohind, Samanta Deva, 850-1000 AD, Jital, 3.42g, Ref: Tye 15.1

Obv: Seated Bull couchant to left; trident on rump; legend in Devanagari above “Sri Samanta Deva

Rev: Horseman advancing right; indeterminate Nagari characters on either side of horseman

Samanta Deva was a military title and the popular coin type/style was extensively copied by the Rajput chieftains of Northern & Western India, and later by the Ghurids & Ghaznavids.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Sorry Mitresh. Although i am very much focussed on the Bull and Horseman Jitals, only noticed this post first a week after you had posted it. To my defence, i have been quite busy lately.
I like your specimen, but it's not Tye#15. If the diameter is 18-19 mm it is more likely Tye#14.1.
Tye#15 has a Nagari "Ta" character in front of the horsemans face, like the one in this post.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Nicely centred strike and excellent picture. TFP.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Truly these coins are amazing!