Author Topic: Small collection  (Read 958 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: Small collection
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
Sioux City Transit Co., Iowa.  1946
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 10:26:51 PM »
A tramway token, sometimes said to have been issued first in 1946. The name Sioux City Transit Co. was used in the period 1944-1953. In 1948, the electric tramway service was ended and replaced by gas busses.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
Here's a fun one...Honolulu Rapid Transit, 1924.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
Here's a fun one...Honolulu Rapid Transit, 1924.
I like the Hawaiian transit tokens especially the later ones that have a hula dancer on them.

You don't see a lot of dated transportation tokens either, so having the date is a plus.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 10:20:16 PM »
Sorry about picking on the short Romans...I've not nailed down a date but I think this is early 1980s,  Connecticut Turnpike token.  It's a little rough but I like the design.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
Fun story about another US civil war, this one caused by this token here

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
Interesting story about the Token Wars but typical of government's inability to get out of their own way. At least this civil war was confined to a small area of NY and CT.  :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
Here's an older one...Rockford City Traction Co., 1910-1931.  Rockford is just west of Chicago.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
In 1910, Rockford City Traction Co. was created as a subsidiary of the R&IR Co. to operate city streetcars within Rockford. Overall ownership changed hands twice again, being acquired by Union Railway Gas & Electric Co. in 1911 and then by Commonwealth Power Railway & Light Co. in 1913.

The first bus service in the Rockford area began in 1919 with Fay Motor Bus Co. operating a route between Rockford and Camp Grant, and by 1920, expanded to include several other suburban and interurban routes out of Rockford, however in 1922, the company was ordered to discontinue the suburban routes because they duplicated the existing streetcar service. By 1930, all interurban lines were abandoned, and the remaining service was rebranded the Rockford City Traction Co.   

Shortly after in 1931, the company was acquired by Central Illinois Electric & Gas Co. Under their ownership, streetcars were discontinued in 1936, and trolley bus operations were discontinued in 1947.

Source

A number of tokens in this style, with holes punched in the centre to form a letter or symbol came about at a time when electric tramway service was replaced by bus service (a dramatically wrong decision, as we now know). It is not clear to me if they were used on trams, busses or both. Knowing more about that can be helpful for dating the tokens.

Fun coincidence, this token was probably used during the presidency of Harding, who you wrote about today in another thread.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
I enjoy doing the research on these tokens...a lot of history!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »
This one isn't overly exiting but I think it pretty old.  I've not been able to nail down a date yet.  TRT Trolley, Virginia Beach, VA.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
The word Trolley is a false lead. The token is in fact pretty modern. TRT stands for Tidewater Regional Transit, part of Hampton Roads Transit since 1999. This organisation still uses trolley busses, though they are being replaced by hybrids. While trolley busses sound old-fashioned, a bus running on electricity is actually a better investment than one running on petrol or diesel.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
Thank you, Peter!  That one had me stumped.  I was looking in the wrong direction :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
1920s (I think 1922) Virginia Railway and Power token, Richmond, VA.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 03:41:35 PM »
Interesting little one...1926 Duluth Street Railway Transit token, Duluth, Minnesota.
The Chief...aka Greg