Author Topic: Fake Zhou Dynasty round coins  (Read 182 times)

Offline otlichnik

Fake Zhou Dynasty round coins
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »
I purchased these six "Zhou dynasty round coins" at the panjaiyuan "ghost market" in Beijing in 2008 as "fillers" for my collection as I do not expect to ever obtain genuine examples.  (Though of course they were being sold as genuine.)

I thought I would share them given some recent related discussions.

Example 1: Zhou Dynasty, Yan state, Ji city, 12.0 g, 39 mm diameter.

What I love about this coin is that while the obverse has an average dirt over medium green patina applied, the reverse has rust marks and wire imprints the I assume were meant to imply that this coin was at the end of string of such coins which used iron wire string.  Come up examination of the wire imprint makes it clear it was from a mono-filament wire and not a wire braided from narrower strands.

Anyway, I give them good marks for effort on this one.

Offline otlichnik

Re: Fake Zhou Dynasty round coins
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
Example 2: Zhou Dynasty, Zhao state, Li Shi city, 10.1 g, 36 mm diameter, H-6.9, FD-372.

This coin has a smooth medium green patina with dark red splotches.  Reverse appears to have very faint rims and a cross.  (Sorry for blurry image.)  Both sides very smooth.  Low marks for effort on this one.

SC

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
Example 3: Zhou Dynasty, Liang state, Yuan city, 16.8 g, 40 mm diameter, H-6.3, Sj-73.

Medium green under fine layer of dirt or dust.  Splotches of genuine rust for a nice touch.  Reverse very smooth.

SC

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Example 4: Zhou Dynasty, Liang state, Kung/Gong city, 12.1 g, 42 mm diameter, H-6.1, Sj-75.

Hard to photograph well.  This coin has a thick, rough, bright green patina (with a few rust spots) applied over a smooth dull green.  The bright green is flaking off, or was incompletely applied.  There are casting flaws - small cracks and a tiny narrow hole.  The outer edge is very uneven.  Not a bad job actually.

SC

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 07:27:39 PM »
Example 5: Zhou Dynasty, ??, 9.5 g, 35 mm diameter, H-3.26.

This is very typical of fakes, especially fake spades and knives, that I saw at panjaiyuan.  The base "patina" is a shiny green that is kind of reflective and looks flaky under magnification.  Sone rough grains have been applied which are dirt coloured in some places but green in others....

I picked up some Da Guan TB with a similar base fake patina that still smelled of spray paint, but I donated them to Calgary Coins black cabinet long ago.

SC

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:31:17 PM »
Example 6: Zhou Dynasty, fantasy coin, 10.6 g, 34 mm diameter.

Patina like example 2.  Very smooth back.

Conclusion.  These fakes were all being sold by the same dealer.  Numbers 2 and 6 appear to be treated identically.  Numbers 1 and 3 are similar though both have genuine ferrous rust, 1 with imprints of wire.  Number 4 has a fairly complex patina applied while number 5 is a dial-it-in paint job.

SC

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
TFP. This very interesting series of fakes confirm my prejudice that amateurs don't have a chance against these fakes. Apart from nrs 2 and 6, whose patina is about as wrong as it gets, I'd have accepted them as genuine. Given the source, I would not have spent any money on any of them, though.

I was at panjaiyuan years ago. At the time, far worse fakes were offered as trades for stamps with nude women. The Spanish stamps with the naked Maya were worth their weight in gold. You could even get stamps with the members of the gang of four for those. :P

I hear the fad today is multiple cash coins, because the tourists like 'em big. Maybe that's the bottom line. As long as the tourists will fall for them, they'll get made. "Better than the original". Your pictures are good warnings. "if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true."

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.