Author Topic: 1804-P  (Read 155 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
1804-P
« on: September 04, 2020, 10:36:28 PM »
We are rich!!!  Not really :-(  1804-P (maybe) silver Dollar (maybe). 1804 that was either restrike or electrotypes reproduction probably 1859 or later.  Made for collectors who wanted the coin design.  For the record there are only 15 known mint 1804 silver Dollars in three different types.  Kiddo found this for me :-)   
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1804-P
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:19 AM »
Many decades ago, the word "filler" was not used for a bad quality hard to find coin. Collectors would make a copy of a coin they wanted, but couldn't afford or find. There were several techniques. The most popular were making a mould with clay or seal lacker from a genuine coin (some collectors even got to use museum coins) and using it to make one-sided gypsum or lead copies. Both could be painted in a more or less appropriate colour and exhibited in the coin cabinet. Some of the lead copies, now paint-less, are still around, usually advertised as patterns on eBay :)

In time, technology struck and produced two-sided copies. Usually, like your piece, they are too good to be true and they can be recognised as fakes in a split second. As technology got better, these pieces moved into criminality. They became deceptive copies. There are laws on the books (also in the US, IIRC) that require that copies are marked as such. Fraudsters observe such laws in the breach, of course. The copies already in the market, such as yours, are usually not covered, which is fine as they would deceive only the super-ignorant greedy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
A cool reproduction, Greg. Where did Kiddo come across this one?

I also have an 1804 fake, but mine with a counterstamp of course. Bought it from a dealer a few years ago at a small local coin show. I'll have to look it up and see if it matches yours...maybe the same maker.

Some of the old cabinet fillers are of some value because of who  owned them...not because of the coin of course, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:10 PM »
I think KaikBax.com.  Pretty cool, though, kiddo only paid $4.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:58 PM »
Well, Kiddo beat me on price. I had to shell out 10 bucks for my "rarity". It was worth it though. A fun piece. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful