Author Topic: Other countermarks on modern UK coins  (Read 457 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Other countermarks on modern UK coins
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 02:48:37 PM »
This is another one I just came across on a 1970 British 10p. There's a lightly struck "2 Shilling" applied on the reverse. Anyone know the purpose of it?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 04:04:20 PM »
Anti-decimalisation diehards?

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 05:36:57 PM »
Did the new 10p replace the old 2 Shilling?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 07:10:11 PM »
Yes, same size and weight, and the 2 shilling coin circulated widely alongside the 10p till the latter was resized in 1992.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
Thanks. Interesting that someone would have to mark it like that though.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 10:11:57 PM »
Well, there's nowt so queer as folk, as they say round where my parents live  ;)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 10:18:48 AM »
There's always a group to oppose a change. I do remember those opposing decimalisation. One of their slogans: unnecessary, unwarranted and un-English.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »
There was a hilarious vox pop done by the BBC (I think) where a reporter asked shoppers what they thought. One elderly respondent said "It's all very well for the young people, but they should have waited till the old people had died"  ;D

Otherwise, actually I think most of the opinions were the same kind of thing that we've seen with more recent and less comprehensive changes to the coinage - people like/don't like the designs, people think there's been too much/not enough publicity, people think that their special interest group hasn't been catered for and so on - but on the substantive issue they don't have much of a view.

The one substantive issue that did turn out to be something of a problem was the extent to which inflation was affected by redenomination to new price points. The same affected the eurozone in 2002, but with the important difference that inflation was pretty low in general in 2002, while in 1971 in the UK it was very high by modern standards.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 10:36:57 AM »
There was a hilarious vox pop done by the BBC (I think) where a reporter asked shoppers what they thought. One elderly respondent said "It's all very well for the young people, but they should have waited till the old people had died"

An instant classic. I love it. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »
There's always a group to oppose a change. I do remember those opposing decimalisation. One of their slogans: unnecessary, unwarranted and un-English.

Peter

A bit late to be opposing anything at that point. It's a done deal so move on.

There was a hilarious vox pop done by the BBC (I think) where a reporter asked shoppers what they thought. One elderly respondent said "It's all very well for the young people, but they should have waited till the old people had died"  ;D

The only problem with that argument of course is there's always a fresh supply of old people to fill the ranks. :laughing:
Bruce
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:08:06 PM by Figleaf »
Always Faithful

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »
I knew I had seen this countermark somewhere before. There is also one in the collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum (although it appears to be not included in their online collection database). I see they have an information card with it. Maybe they can offer more information on it.

Photo: Professor Dan Hicks.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 10:21:47 PM »
Now that you mention it, I've seen it before too. I had a contact at the Fitzwilliam  in regard to their Troubles collection but hsven't been able to make contact for some time...Prof. Richard Kelleher in the Coins and Medals Department. Nothing from them since Covid hit. They may be inactive and not able to respond.

Bruce
Always Faithful