Author Topic: Other countermarks on modern UK coins  (Read 108 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Other countermarks on modern UK coins
« on: September 04, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »
This topic is for other countermarks that have been found on modern UK coins. I regularly come across reports of these having been found while browsing on Facebook and instead of scrolling past I will post them here, it may lead to interesting things. Some of them are intriguing, others less so. Feel free to add new pieces etc.

Countermarks on UK coins related to the Troubles, European Integration and Scottish independence are excluded from this topic. They can be posted/discussed in the following specific topics:

Troubled coins
Countermarks related to (proposed) Scottish independence referendums
Countermarks related to European integration

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: Other countermarks on modern UK coins
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »
This 50p coin was in May found in circulation in Essex. Suggestions were that it could be related to the designers Banksy or Robert Thompson who respectively use rats and mice in their works. Banksy is known to have countermarked coins. Another suggestion was that of a possible connection between the countermark and the nursery rhyme Three Blind Mice. The rhyme, which dates back to 1609, is believed to be based on the actions of three Protestant bishops who were accused of plotting against Queen Mary I. They were later burned at the stake. It of course also possible that the countermarker thinks that Queen Elizabeth II and/or her family are rats.

© Immie Hansford - Fifty Pence Coin Collectors Group 50p, Facebook.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:15:36 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »
The name Darius Meads struck or laser etched into a 2016-dated 1 pound coin found in circulation in May 2018.

© Jack Kenworthy - UK Coin Collectors: Buy, Trade & Sell, Facebook.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
Another suggestion was that of a possible connection between the countermark and the nursery rhyme Three Blind Mice.

I like that theory. There is a "troubles" counterstamped coin with a similar same lay-out. The mice are coming at QEII from three directions, beleaguering her.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
The "mouse" investigating Her Majesty's right nostril doesn't look very "mousy", though - it's clearly different from the very mouse-shaped mouse in the crown. With that raised tail it looks more like a cat  ;)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
The placement of the little animals is interesting...one each at the throat, mouth/nose and one in the crown. The one in the crown is definitely a mouse or rat but I'm not sure about the other two. I'm not sure about a political meaning as they aren't punched across her face...more like carefully placed around it. The one at her throat looks a little menacing though.

It probably has nothing to do with the Irish situation as the only really active counterstampers at the time was RIRA. Their initial stamps were blunt and to the point and never used symbols that I've seen. Also nearly all of their stamps were struck on 1 and 2 pound coins.

I'm vaguely familiar with Barsky's work and on the surface it doesn't strike me as something of his.Just a guess there though. I'm not familiar with Thompson.

Bruce

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
Here's an interesting coin I came across recently. It's a 1969 50p "revalued " to 50 cents. I don't know what to make of it but I'm sure someone here has an answer. The coin is in the Dissident Coins collection at the Fitzwilliam Museum.

Bruce
Always Faithful