Author Topic: US uncirculated Dollar Coins  (Read 1903 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: US uncirculated Dollar Coins
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
George Washington was also tall for his time and also an imposing figure...not as tall as Lincoln though.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2020, 12:13:44 PM »
George Washington was 6' 2"
Dale

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »
#28...Woodrow Wilson.  I'm torn on this one.  He did take the US into WWI but some of his policies were OK.  2013-P, 4.62 million minted.  https://www.britannica.com/biography/Woodrow-Wilson
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
There's an interesting story about the health of Wilson and how it impacted the presidency. I'd known the story for a long time, but had never studied it in detail. When you posted the Wilson coin, Greg, it reminded me of it so I went ahead and looked into it.
See the details here.         https://www.historynet.com/big-lie-woodrow-wilsons-sham-presidency.htm

Scary and unerving that there was no clear path to succession when a president was incapaciated then. Of course sine Wilson's time measures have been adopted to correct that. They're very clear and unambiguous.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
George Washington was 6' 2"
Dale
I think the average man was only 5' 5" or 5' 6" then so he really was a big man. A very impressive prescence from all I've read of him.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »
Especially when he wore his Nelson/Napoleon hat. I was immediately reminded of Arnold, who in this, my least favourite picture before I lost weight, towered over me thanks to his super-high-heeled "cowboy" boots. One of my friends, who lives near him, says he was not allowed to smoke in the house when he was married to Maria Shriver, so the super-hero could be seen regularly, freezing on the porch of his house with a cigar in his face, sometimes smoking and shivering together with friend and fellow super-hero Jean-Claude Vandamme. I wonder now if Martha gave George the same treatment. "You can come in and have dinner, but that sword stays out, you hear!"

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2020, 09:27:52 PM »
Great story, Peter. I too occassionaly enjoy a cigar (a Dominican, of course) and get the same treatment as Arnold. It's actually a good thing as I rarely smoke in the winter...way too cold to enjoy one outside. I'm not as tough as Mr. S. ;D

An interesting picture. Was he the governor of California at the time?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2020, 09:33:21 PM »
Peter, that's a great picture!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:27 PM »
AMERICAN MEN OF 1776... So far the study has shown that in the Revolutionary era the average height of American men was 5 feet 8 inches, only an inch shorter than today's average.
American men in Revolutionary days also averaged three inches taller than their British counterparts.

I was almost 5'-10" when I was younger and I too wore boots that added to that. I am no longer that tall and I generally don't wear boots.
Not that I have any thing against boots but a nice well made hand-made pair of boots can cost over $1,000 USD.

Even back in the 1970's I paid close to $300 for them.

Dale

I think the average man was only 5' 5" or 5' 6" then so he really was a big man. A very impressive prescence from all I've read of him.

Bruce

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:40 PM »
To go completely off topic...the average for the Roman Legions was 5'3 to 5'5 :-)  I'll have to post another coin to make up for that!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
#29...another one I had to research.  Warren G. Harding.  2014-P, 6.16 million minted.  https://www.britannica.com/biography/Warren-G-Harding
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2020, 11:50:29 PM »
#30...Calvin Coolidge.  Not much to say but I found a pretty funny story that his wife recounted... His wife, Grace Goodhue Coolidge, recounted that a young woman sitting next to Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her he quietly retorted, “You lose.”   ;D  https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/presidents/calvin-coolidge/  2014-P, 4.48 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
#31...Herbert Hoover.  Talk about an extraordinary life!  https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/presidents/herbert-hoover/
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »
#32...another President who really needs no introduction.  FDR, the only President ever elected for a third term.  https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/presidents/franklin-d-roosevelt/   2014-P, 4.76 million minted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:10:39 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2020, 07:41:27 PM »
His third term was a catalyst for imposing a limit of two terms for the office of the presidency. An interesting life for sure.

Bruce
Always Faithful