US uncirculated Dollar Coins

Started by gpimper, August 27, 2020, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

And the reverse.

Dale

Prosit

Hope it isn't illegal to post that...
It is well known that the Feds have no sense of humor and are pretty weird in what is allowed and what isn't.

Dale

gpimper

Dale, I'm going through my old books trying to find the $2s I stashed over the years...too many books!  I'll find 'em.  Very cool sheet, though!
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

Thanks!

I really never knew what to do with it. It doesn't fit any storage method I have.
It comes in a bifold decorative cardstock information sleeve and that makes it an odd size to frame or store.

I don't remember but think the full sheet at the BEP is either 32 or 64 notes.

Dale

Quote from: gpimper on September 07, 2020, 02:42:18 AM
Dale, I'm going through my old books trying to find the $2s I stashed over the years...too many books!  I'll find 'em.  Very cool sheet, though!

Figleaf

In view of the reduced format, that shouldn't give any practical problems. Even beyond practicality, I don't see potential problems. The server is in Germany, the URL is registered in Belgium, the co-owners are in France and in the Netherlands and these jurisdictions would all recognise the small format as sufficient protection.

Peter

Quote from: Prosit on September 07, 2020, 02:38:24 AM
Hope it isn't illegal to post that...
It is well known that the Feds have no sense of humor and are pretty weird in what is allowed and what isn't.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

#17...Andrew Johnson.  He took office after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.  Although not a bad man, Andrew Johnson was one of the most unfortunate of Presidents.  He was impeached by the House but pardoned by the Senate.  2011-P, 35.56 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

Poor Johnson had to follow in the footsteps of Lincoln which would have been a daunting task for anyone. It was probably better that he didn't become president earlier as the immense pressure of prosecuting the war and trying to preserve the Union might have been too much for him. Of course he faced his own challenges with the problems of reconstruction, slavery, and other issues. A tough situation that he probably handled as well as he could.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

#18...Ulysses S. Grant.  Now there's an interesting one!  Before his presidency, Grant led the Union Army as Commanding General of the United States Army in winning the American Civil War.  Historians, however, rate his two term Presidency in the lowest 10 ever.  I'm a fan militarily but then I'm a military fan of Robert E. Lee (all politics aside).  2011-P, 38 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

Yes, Grant was a skilled military man but not a politician...much like Zachary Taylor. I've gained a newfound respect for Grant's military abilities after years of thinking otherwise. One of the more interesting American military leaders.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

That's a recurrent pattern. I started a thread on country creators that showed a tendency of being either good at warfare or good at governing. Military heroes are often political failures, not only because when they get into power by rebellion, they turn into dictators, but also because politics and warfare take a totally different mindset. The best example of a general who did well in politics was Eisenhower.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

Peter, I have to totally agree with that...the mind set is 180 out.  Makes me wonder why military folks even get into politics (I know I'd suck ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Here's a small anecdote that may amuse you. The scene is NATO HQ in Brussels, around 1980. A CIA man and I are discussing Israel, Palestinians and their supporters. A US general joins our conversation with a long monologue on how the Russians are behind it all and they'll take over the whole area and monopolise oil. The CIA man, visibly annoyed, reacts with "General, if the Russians take over the Middle East, I guarantee that within three years they will be importing sand". :D

Peter

gpimper

Peter, I can see that :-)
The way I see it is something like this.  (made up scenario)  Our crew is ordered to conduct a combat flight over Mosul in support of the 10th Mountain Division.  Half of the crew gather and whisper together then pronounce "how about we compromise...we fly half way to Mosul then turn back."  That's a military veteran dealing with Congress.  Not for me! 
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

gpimper

#19...Rutherford B Hayes.  Seems he was one of the military Presidents who proved to be a pretty good President.  2011-P, 37.66 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg