News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

US uncirculated Dollar Coins

Started by gpimper, August 27, 2020, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

I'll start this out with a re-post just for fun :-)  These are all going to be newer coins but I hope ya'll enjoy!
The Chief...aka Greg

gpimper

2007-P.  Mints started with the Presidents Dollars.  Some are nice and some rather lack.  Here is the first...George Washington :-)

I forgot to add...as always, all inputs are always welcome!
The Chief...aka Greg

gpimper

Moving :-)  President John Adams.  I rather like this one.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

I generally like the Presidential Dollar series. The reverse is a beautiful portrait of the Statue of Liberty and most of the presidential portraits are well done. Not only that, but you can find them in circulation at times so they're available to pick up for a dollar.

I think this is my favorite series of modern US dollars overall.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

2007-P Thomas Jefferson...one of my favorites.  I think this one has the satin finish.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

The satin or matte finish gives a nice look to any coin. I agree with you about the Jefferson.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

One of my favorite Pres Dollar portraits...James Madison, 2007-P with satin finish :-)  The eyes are a little creepy, though.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

I like the dollar coins and think they look good and I have all them in mint sets. I have always though if the best designs we can come up with are Monarchs, Presidents and portraits, then that is a sad thing.

Dale

brandm24

Generally, I agree that we can do a lot better on our coin designs, but these Presidential Series coins are pretty nice. My only problem with them is that they have the same reverse (nothing was changed that I know of) and the portraits get repetitious after awhile. Granted, they're of different presidents, but they all have the same general look. The edge lettering is a plus for me...very nice.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

I have to agree as well.  I think the last classy design was the Walking Liberty (though the Peace Dollar was nice).  That's why I like the ancients...never know what you might find!
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

I like the ancients too and I have a few. But there are so many coins out there we all have to chose as we can't collect everything.

I think if I had the money and the time and had to chose one area. I think I would chose Pirate coins  ;D
Any coin a Pirate might have encountered or acquired.

But since I don't have the money to chase after everything I like, I decided to collect all common world coins (presently inactive).

Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 29, 2020, 10:07:33 PM
I have to agree as well.  I think the last classy design was the Walking Liberty (though the Peace Dollar was nice).  That's why I like the ancients...never know what you might find!

brandm24

I've always liked the old classic designs...allegorical figures of Liberty and country...so was never involved in much of the modern era coins. The Walkers, Standing Liberties, Mercs, Buffalo Nickels, and Peace Dollars were the last great series of US coin design IMO.

Having said that, by participating in these threads I can look at the 20th century coinage more favorably now. It's been a good learning process for me.

Bruce

Always Faithful

gpimper

I enjoy that folks are enjoying the threads...I know I'm having fun!
Next Pres...drum roll...James Monroe.  2008-P with satin finish.  Sorry about the plastic cover, really doesn't help the photo. 
Stoic looking old guy :-)  Reminds me of my dad but more hair :-(
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

I want to insert this coin.

At first glance it appears a circulation-type Eisenhower coin from the 1776-1976 Bicentennial.
But this is part of a three coin set that was made from Silver (40%). It never circulated and wasn't intended to circulate.
1976-S

Mintage of the set is 4,908,319
The set was a Quarter Dollar, Half Dollar and a Dollar, $1.75 face.

The set issue price was $9 USD and today this 44 year old set sells in the neighborhood of $25.00

Which means it grew in price about 35 1/2 cent per year.
I am not a statistician but that is about a 4% increase over the original purchase price per year.

If you take into account the increasing value and consider a compound interest...it wasn't worth buying from an investment
point of view but I am a coin collector and don't care about investments.

Which is the case of a coin having more value than the value  :)

Any errors you might notice in the coin are simply artifacts of scanning inside the package. It is perfect...for its age  :)

Dale

gpimper

Dale, I like the Ike :-)
Figured out how to get the Dollars out of the plastic covers (I'm slow at times).  Much better photo of John Quincy Adams.  I don't think I've mentioned that all of these are copper-zinc-manganese-nickel clad copper.  2008-P.
The Chief...aka Greg