Say what?

Started by brandm24, August 23, 2020, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

This token amused me because of the roundabout way they got to stating the actual value of it. The center leads you to believe that it's good for a 15 cent drink, but IF you read the darker outside ring it says that you have to chip in a dime to get the 15 cent drink. Sooo, the thing's only good for 5 cents. A little shady but that's merchandising I suppose...or as Mel Brooks said it, MOYchandising.

The piece initially caught my eye because of the bi-metallic composition of it...something I thought was a bit unusual for US tokens of this era (early 1900's?). It turns out not to be. I came across many US bi-metallic pieces while looking around for information on the issuer. As a matter of fact, there's a hobbyist's organization called the Worldwide Bi-Metallic Collectors Club populated by enthusiasts of the genre. There's also a reference written by the prolific exonumia author David E. Schenkman called  Bimetallic Trade tokens of the United States.

As far as Burns & Verhoven is concerned, I found no history on them except that they were located in Chicago and that one partner's name was Albert H. Verhoven. I think they deserve their obscurity for trying to push cheap whiskey on the public. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on August 23, 2020, 11:24:29 AM

The piece initially caught my eye because of the bi-metallic composition of it...something I thought was a bit unusual for US tokens of this era (early 1900's?). It turns out not to be. I came across many US bi-metallic pieces while looking around for information on the issuer. As a matter of fact, there's a hobbyist's organization called the Worldwide Bi-Metallic Collectors Club populated by enthusiasts of the genre. There's also a reference written by the prolific exonumia author David E. Schenkman called  Bimetallic Trade tokens of the United States.

Bruce

In the process of collecting my theme (I collect islands and what is designated as an "island"), I also paid attention and saw some interesting objects from this series.
(Along the way, I noticed that there is an "Rock island" in almost every state, and their tokens can usually be found as well.)
For example, these are:
All islands around the world & islands coin

Figleaf

Quote from: brandm24 on August 23, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
As far as Burns & Verhoven is concerned, I found no history on them except that they were located in Chicago and that one partner's name was Albert H. Verhoven.

FWIW, Verhoven is likely another example of an Anglo (in this case an immigration officer) having trouble with foreign vowel combinations. The original name may well have been Verhoeven (oe is pronounced as a long oo "moot" in English), a common name, meaning "of the farm". Albert is a common name in Dutch, written as in English. Burns is of course Lowlands Scottish (think of Robert). If the two got along well enough to start a firm in Chicago, they may not have been first generation immigrants.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

It looks like they changed the value on the first token, Alex. That's interesting as you don't see that often.
Quote from: Figleaf on August 23, 2020, 02:16:46 PM
FWIW, Verhoven is likely another example of an Anglo (in this case an immigration officer) having trouble with foreign vowel combinations. The original name may well have been Verhoeven (oe is pronounced as a long oo "moot" in English), a common name, meaning "of the farm". Albert is a common name in Dutch, written as in English. Burns is of course Lowlands Scottish (think of Robert). If the two got along well enough to start a firm in Chicago, they may not have been first generation immigrants.

Peter
I have access to a lot of city, county and local directories including Chicago, so I'm sure I could find some listings for the company. I just don't have time to look through them at the moment because I'm in the process of moving. The token itself and the way the value was presented interested me the most.

Maybe the two just tolerated each other. Some "marriages" have stayed together with less.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I came across an interesting article in the E-Sylum Newsletter that discusses the early ... and more recent...development of bimetallic coins and tokens. Apparently, the first such makers in the US were in Philadelphia in the 1890's.
                                                        https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n51a12.html

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Recently, I liked the design of the vintage bi-metal tokens with four suits of playing cards - the central part in the form of one of the suits. Didn't save the photo.. Here's another interesting design:

brandm24

I like the Star Saloon token, Alex. Do you know what city it was in?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island