US Quarter and half Dollar coins

Started by gpimper, August 11, 2020, 05:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

And last for today for me is a US 1965 quarter and half from a Special Mint Set (SMS)
Not a circulation strike and not a proof. It is an odd group of coins.

I should mention the 1965-1970 half dollar were clad coinage. Never-the-less they were 40% Silver
as opposed to the pre 1965 90% Silver coinage. There are rumors of 1971 40% Silver minted in error but I don't recall if it was ever confirmed

Dale

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on August 13, 2020, 03:23:11 AM
Here is an 1989-S Congress Bicentennial US Commemorative half-dollar
mintage 767,897

It is a Proof but someone didn't treat it well

Dale
That's still a nice coin, Dale. It's interesting that you can always spot a proof issue even if it's been circulated. There's something about the proof surface that's always there.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: andyg on August 12, 2020, 10:42:54 PM
Besides new issues which KenA kindly sources for me, this is my only US coin purchase this year,
I like the way North and South America are depicted as two women holding hands.

Apparently, the remaining stock of unsold halves of this type were dumped into circulation, so it fits with my coins for circulation by type collection :)
You know I never noticed  the continents were represented by two female figures joining hands. What a great representation of unity and shared interests. Since the coins were struck in low relief most don't show a lot of detail so it's easy to overlook. I think yours is actually fairly high grade, andyg. Very nice.

Chester Beach was the designer and it's thought that the reverse motif was influenced by the 1901 Pan American Exposition Seal created by Ralph Beck. There are also unverified reports of two matte proofs having been struck.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on August 13, 2020, 03:33:26 AM
And last for today for me is a US 1965 quarter and half from a Special Mint Set (SMS)
Not a circulation strike and not a proof. It is an odd group of coins.

I should mention the 1965-1970 half dollar were clad coinage. Never-the-less they were 40% Silver
as opposed to the pre 1965 90% Silver coinage. There are rumors of 1971 40% Silver minted in error but I don't recall if it was ever confirmed

Dale
It turns out that there were at least two 1971 40% silver Kennedys minted in error, both in Denver I believe.

In 2003 Heritage offered an example graded by PCGS with a minimum bid of $10,000. I don't know if it sold or not. In 2018 a second example graded Ms-61 by NGC was sold by South Florida Coins & Collectibles. It sold for $13,000. Not bad for a "mistake."

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

The sad part of the story is in the early 70" s I thought I had found one, but before I could get it authenticated my home was burglarized. Coin collection gone, TV gone, guitar gone, house trashed, guns gone and a lot of stuff broke. No one ever caught, nothing ever found. Didn't collect another coin or gun or guitar for twenty years.
Dale

Quote from: brandm24 on August 13, 2020, 12:05:59 PM
It turns out that there were at least two 1971 40% silver Kennedys minted in error, both in Denver I believe.

In 2003 Heritage offered an example graded by PCGS with a minimum bid of $10,000. I don't know if it sold or not. In 2018 a second example graded Ms-61 by NGC was sold by South Florida Coins & Collectibles. It sold for $13,000. Not bad for a "mistake."

Bruce

brandm24

That's sad, Dale. One of those what-might-have-been moments. Once you've taken that kind of hit it's hard to begin all over.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: brandm24 on August 13, 2020, 10:56:20 AM
You know I never noticed  the continents were represented by two female figures joining hands. What a great representation of unity and shared interests. Since the coins were struck in low relief most don't show a lot of detail so it's easy to overlook. I think yours is actually fairly high grade, andyg. Very nice.

Chester Beach was the designer and it's thought that the reverse motif was influenced by the 1901 Pan American Exposition Seal created by Ralph Beck. There are also unverified reports of two matte proofs having been struck.

Bruce
Here's an image of the likely model for Beach's reverse.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Always Faithful

gpimper

1964 saw the last of the silver quarters :-(  With exception of a few flaws and the .9 silver 1992-1998-S series the Washington was unchanged until the introduction of the State Quarters in 1999.  The one exception is the 1976 designed by Jack L. Ahr.  This one is a proof... 
The Chief...aka Greg

gpimper

I forget who asked but all States and Territories are now accounted for :-)  There is another thread here were I posted most but we were missing 3...problem is I don't remember with 3.  Still working the National Monument set.  Sorry about the lighting and the feet!
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

About the Quarters.
In the Standing Liberty series there were no quarters dated 1922
The Standing Liberty ended in 1930.

There were no quarter dollar coins in 1931
The Washington started in 1932.
There were no quarters in 1933

In 1975-76 there were special sets minted containing Silver-clad Quarters of which several million were melted in 1982.

From 1965 through 1998 the designs were modified quit a few times, most often to lower the relief for faster production. The changes are generally not noticeable except to a Washington quarter expert.

If you are a quarter dollar fan a couple unusual ones to note are the 1883 Hawaii Quarter and the 1893 Isabella Quarter.
I always wanted the Isabella quarter and never desired the Hawaii coin. Since the Isabella is 5-6 hundred dollars and the Hawaii is $70 to 300 in circulated grades, I obviously desired the wrong one. I could have gotten the Hawaii one but not the Isabella. ;)

Dale

gpimper

Dale, well put.  I would add that no Quarters were minted in 1975...not sure why.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

They were minting the 1776-1976 bicentennial quarter in 1975
Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 13, 2020, 11:21:20 PM
Dale, well put.  I would add that no Quarters were minted in 1975...not sure why.

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on August 13, 2020, 11:08:45 PM
About the Quarters.
In the Standing Liberty series there were no quarters dated 1922
The Standing Liberty ended in 1930.

There were no quarter dollar coins in 1931
The Washington started in 1932.
There were no quarters in 1933

In 1975-76 there were special sets minted containing Silver-clad Quarters of which several million were melted in 1982.

From 1965 through 1998 the designs were modified quit a few times, most often to lower the relief for faster production. The changes are generally not noticeable except to a Washington quarter expert.

If you are a quarter dollar fan a couple unusual ones to note are the 1883 Hawaii Quarter and the 1893 Isabella Quarter.
I always wanted the Isabella quarter and never desired the Hawaii coin. Since the Isabella is 5-6 hundred dollars and the Hawaii is $70 to 300 in circulated grades, I obviously desired the wrong one. I could have gotten the Hawaii one but not the Isabella. ;)

Dale
I think the Isabella Quarter was the only commemorative of that value ever issued. I can't think of any others.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

I think so too.
Dale

Quote from: brandm24 on August 14, 2020, 09:44:14 AM
I think the Isabella Quarter was the only commemorative of that value ever issued. I can't think of any others.

Bruce