News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

US Quarter and half Dollar coins

Started by gpimper, August 11, 2020, 05:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

Because I just don't have many to post I've decided to combined these denominations.  As always, all input is welcome!  I have to apologize for the quality of some of my coins :-)  I'll kick us off with a 1898 Barber Quarter, Philadelphia mint.  Just over 11 million minted, .9 silver.  Design is by Charles E. Barber.  I've always appreciated this design.     
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

I can contribute a little to this thread but it will be tonight or tomorrow.

Dale

brandm24

I was never really a fan of the Barber coinage, but the new redesigned dime, quarter, and half dollar were stunning. All three denominations were redone in 1916 after the minimum of 25 years had past on the old Barber coinage. Adolph Weinman's designs were chosen for both the dime and half dollar. Hermon A. MacNeil's vision of a standing liberty was chosen for the quarter.

Charles E. Barber had been Chief Engraver of the mint or 36 years at the time and was humiliated that all of his new designs had been rejected. In a fit of anger, he delayed the implementation of the new issues as long as possible. This is the very reason that both Barber and Mercury Dimes were struck in 1916.
Quote from: gpimper on August 11, 2020, 05:25:13 PM
Because I just don't have many to post I've decided to combined these denominations.  As always, all input is welcome!  I have to apologize for the quality of some of my coins :-)  I'll kick us off with a 1898 Barber Quarter, Philadelphia mint.  Just over 11 million minted, .9 silver.  Design is by Charles E. Barber.  I've always appreciated this design.     
Since I don't have any of either denomination to show I appreciate seeing yours and Dale's, Greg. :)

Bruce

Always Faithful

gpimper

I know she's not in the best shape...1927 Philadelphia mint Standing Liberty.  This a type two with the three stars.  11.3 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Don't worry about the grade, Greg. It's not really important.

Before 2013, I had one of those in my duplicates (the one in my collection was only slightly better). One day my mother asked me if I had a silver duplicate coin, so I gave it to her. She used it for cooking mussels. If there's a bad mussel in the lot you are cooking, the coin will turn black and you can throw away the whole batch or get a bad stomach poisoning. :(

She never had a bad lot. I got back my duplicate at some point. It was clean and smelled of fish, but it may have been the most useful coin I had :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

That's a nice collectible SLQ, Greg. Anything with a full, strong date like that is a great coin. Even grayish original toning with no distracting marks...classic and beautiful.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

I've always appreciated the design.  Done by Hermon A. MacNeil.  Notice the M front right at the bottom.
These ran from 1916 to 1932 with two types before they went to the Washington Quarter.
The Chief...aka Greg

andyg

Besides new issues which KenA kindly sources for me, this is my only US coin purchase this year,
I like the way North and South America are depicted as two women holding hands.

Apparently, the remaining stock of unsold halves of this type were dumped into circulation, so it fits with my coins for circulation by type collection :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

gpimper

I like that one.  Commemorative, I assume?
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

My Mother always said to bury a Silver dime when planting a fruit tree so it will be healthier   :)

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on August 12, 2020, 08:51:33 PM
Don't worry about the grade, Greg. It's not really important.

Before 2013, I had one of those in my duplicates (the one in my collection was only slightly better). One day my mother asked me if I had a silver duplicate coin, so I gave it to her. She used it for cooking mussels. If there's a bad mussel in the lot you are cooking, the coin will turn black and you can throw away the whole batch or get a bad stomach poisoning. :(

She never had a bad lot. I got back my duplicate at some point. It was clean and smelled of fish, but it may have been the most useful coin I had :)

Peter

gpimper

I know I'm moving fast but...1932 mints went to the Washington Quarter.  .9 silver designed by John Flanagan.  Little back story...My Grandfather served in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII and went all the way to Okinawa.  I picked this out of his change jar.  Makes me wonder?  1944-P with with wear and tear.  A lot were minted. 
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

Here is an 1854-O US half-dollar with arrows at date and no rays on the back. I believe this is called a Type II.
Mintage is 5.24 million.

Dale

Prosit

Here is an 1993 World's Columbian Expo US Commemorative half-dollar.
Mintage 1,550,405

Dale

Prosit

Here is an 1989-S Congress Bicentennial US Commemorative half-dollar
mintage 767,897

It is a Proof but someone didn't treat it well

Dale

gpimper

That 1854-O is very nice!  1.48 million designed  by Christian Gorberchr.  Nice coin!
The Chief...aka Greg