News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Safavid, AR Shahi of Nakhchivanmint(Azerbaijan) , Shah Sultan Husayn I ?

Started by Amitav, August 08, 2020, 12:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amitav

Hello friends,
Can anyone help me to identify the below silver coin. The weight of the coin is 1.13 grams.

Regards,
Amit

saro

The 1st picture needs a 180° rotation and clearly shows a part of the mintname "Nakhjawan " (and "Khan" at top it seems)
2nd picture gives the faith formula.
it's a coin struck in Azerbaijan under persian rule.
Nice coin  :perfect: the ruler is still to identify but small denominations are always scarce.

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Dear Amit, your coin:
Safavid, Shah Sultan Husayn I, Date?, AR Shahi, Nakhchivan (Azerbaijan) mint (1105-1135 AH/1694-1722 AD)
Obverse: " بنده شاه ولایت حسین  ", Bendeh-ya Shah-e Welayat Husayn, meaning, Servant of the King of the Welayat Husayn, the mint is below " Zarb Nakhshawan ضرب نخجوان  ".
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah.
From the weight, the date of this silver Shahi is towards the end of Shah Husayn rule (1105-1135 AH), after " 1129 ۱۱۲۹  ".
Please note on first photo part of the word Shah and and end letter of Husayn are visible " شا ن   ".

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

Bernard, Maythem, you are miracles on legs. :applause: :applause:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, I am still in doubt about the word on top of first photo, it looks like " Khan خان " as suggested by Saro. It all depends on how you read it.

Maythem

Figleaf

That is a big part of why you are so successful as a team. You are not afraid to gamble or to be found wrong. Rather, you inspire each other. You get it right in the end, but with a shared thought process. In that way. you are even stronger together than as two individuals.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, you are right, it's worth a try.

Maythem

saro

Many thanks Peter, as our belgian friends say "Unity is Strength".. ;)

Quote from: aws22 on August 08, 2020, 09:28:27 PM
From the weight, the date of this silver Shahi is towards the end of Shah Husayn rule (1105-1135 AH), after " 1129 "
Dear Maythem, I am not fully convinced that the "nim" belongs to "Husayn" but why not ?
Without date and ruler's name, the weight and the style are the only mean of attribution; the weight of this coin in good condition should nearly fit with the standard in use at its time; there are two possibilities, I think :
- the 1st standard half shahi of Shah 'Abbas I struck between 996 and 1004 AH ( Azerbaijan was under Ottoman's rule from 998 to 1004 AH )
- the "virtual" shahi (such a coin is not reported ?) of last years of Husayn Shah reign : 1133-1135 AH (4 shahi= 4,60g according to Farahbakhsh)

A thing is certain is that's an interesting rare coin  :)
Dear Amitav, to put in good place this coin in the index, did sharper pictures would be possible ?

Amitav

Respected Saro and Maytham,

I am sincerely grateful for the information on the coin. I really think people like you make this platform rich with knowledge and a haven for people like us.
Please accept my heartful of appreciation and humble 'Namaskar' to both of you.
You as collectors are the real people who can tell a story just by looking at a coin for the generations to come. I am honoured and glad to know you both and wish to be a part of such a wonderful community till my last days of collecting. I know I can learn much from you all and may be of help to newcomers oneday.

Thank you Admin and other seniors who had created such a good platform.

I will share a sharper picture in coming days as I am out of my location presently.

Sincere Regards,
Amitav

aws22

saro

Quote from: Amitav on August 10, 2020, 01:14:33 AM
Respected Saro and Maytham,

I am sincerely grateful for the information on the coin. I really think people like you make this platform rich with knowledge and a haven for people like us.
Please accept my heartful of appreciation and humble 'Namaskar' to both of you.
You as collectors are the real people who can tell a story just by looking at a coin for the generations to come. I am honoured and glad to know you both and wish to be a part of such a wonderful community till my last days of collecting. I know I can learn much from you all and may be of help to newcomers oneday.

Thank you Admin and other seniors who had created such a good platform.

I will share a sharper picture in coming days as I am out of my location presently.

Sincere Regards,
Amitav
You are welcome . It's too much  :)

Amitav

Hi Saro,

I just share my heart feelings...what to do...I say what I feel...its really appreciable knowledge as I was longing to get some information since few weeks and finally you and Maythem gave me the information about the coins and I am grateful. :)

Figleaf

There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, Amitav. Just as there is nothing wrong with saro being French polite in English. ;)

Peter