Author Topic: RBI To Introduce Polymer Banknotes  (Read 19776 times)

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
Re: RBI To Introduce Polymer Banknotes
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
or pop on over here and check it for yourself. not so far for you  :P

Yeah I am excited to see the note but I will only get free late in the evening as I walked in late today & I must complete my 9 hours. :p
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
Rs 10 without symbol  P 47B 842065 dated 2011 ....I don't collect notes, so I don't know if this is right....but I can certainly feel this note is different...like singaporean notes

Thanks, whats the year of printing at the back?
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

paisepagal

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
err, there's another year of printing ?? I can only see 2011 at the bottom centre

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
err, there's another year of printing ?? I can only see 2011 at the bottom centre

Sorry, didn't read it properly the first time around, ya 2011  :-[ ... it means the notes were printed quite sometime back and put into circulation only now ...  :)

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
Any other lucky ones who got it in the cafeteria ... this has still not made way to dealers ... so it looks like the Govt took real efforts to put this directly into circulation ... but then it did not anticipate collector-horders who did not pass it ahead in circulation but kept it with themselves ... any one looking for charity giving ... [i am open to getting a few of these notes ... in the name of God, please spare me a polymer note  ;D ;D ;D ]

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
Dheer,

I don't think these notes are widely circulating in the market as of now, not at least in Mumbai. I think Ashwin is the only lucky guy on this forum to get this note in circulation as of now. The only option is to keep our eyes open and inform others if we do get this note.
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline akhedia

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
Polymer notes are yet to have started getting printed  leave aside being circulated...........

paisepagal

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
Polymer notes are yet to have started getting printed  leave aside being circulated...........

I showed my bro the Rs10 note , he said it did feel different, thicker perhaps...but he think's its not polymer. Now he's a amateur note collector, but he knows more than me ////
He did give me one solution though....try to tear the note and see what happens.... I'm tempted to...but if its polymer as i think it is I don't want to damage it  :-\ :-\ :-\
So I'll just hold on to it, till I come across the next polymer ....which may or may not ever happen

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Can you post a high resolution picture?

Well one can clearly make out the difference between paper and polymer ... the feel is different ... normally the water mark window is also a give away ... one can see the plastic ... the other way by damaging is try to scratch at one corner with nail ... on polymer, the ink will come into your finger nail ... one paper nothing will happen ... ofcouse you can also fold and check ... another test is put this in water, the paper one will get soaked but the polymer one will not be soaked and will come out clean ...

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
I think the water test sounds promising.  >:D
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
I have about 50 Polymer notes from different countries, and one feature, common to almost all the Polymer notes, is the presence of Transparent widow, with a watermark.

So, in all probability, the Indian Polymer notes will also have a transparent window, which should make the note easily identifiable.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
Very true ... but if we are to assume that there is no change in the design of the note ... then we have the white water mark window replaced with the cream color water mark window from the Gandhi series ... and there may lie the difficulty ... there is no surface that is not painted / colored ... but then in such a case how is the water mark obtained needs to be seen ... to my understanding in polymer notes its easy to have the water mark in the transperent window but getting it in colored window well ....

paiseje ... need the photos ASAP or the note itself gifted to note collectors  to make a judgement :)

paisepagal

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
So the suspense was killing me, and I dipped the note partially into a glass of water like someone suggested...at first, it seemed ok...but then I left it in longer....and it has absorbed the water  :'( ...False alarm everybody  :-[ :-[ I guess the search continues !

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »
Looks like akhedia is right then ...

Thanks for confirming ... so looks like you got a batch of note that used a thicker paper ... or a different paper ... although fakes are known but not in lower denomination ...

I had few thicker notes where even the security thread had not partially come out ... overall the paper was thicker ...

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
RBI To Introduce Polymer Banknotes
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
although fakes are known but not in lower denomination

I have received fake Rs 10 banknotes couple of times..the paper was thicker but of much lower quality than that or original note. You can feel the difference just by touching it. Still have one lying somewhere here..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.