Author Topic: Additional charges on Delivery of Proof Set of Mumbai Mint in West Bengal  (Read 514 times)

Offline chatsu01

Dear all, Hope all of you and your family are safe and doing well! I have received a proof set from Mumbai Mint today. The India Post postman demanded Rs 310 as additional charges for the parcel and said that the set will be returned to Post Office if I donot pay the amount. Eventually, I didnot want to go to the Post Office during this pandemic and had paid the amount. The postman also refused to provide any receipt. I donot think the postman has fleeced me as this man is delivering letters etc.
for quite some time now. May I request someone to throw some light on this additional charge.

P.S. I stay in West Bengal.

Regards
Sudip.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:09:31 PM by chatsu01 »

Offline idiotghost

You have been conned. The Mints charge all inclusive rate for coins, including shipping & payment gateway charges. I have never paid any extra charge separately at the time of delivery from the mint in all these years. Plus he refusing to give a receipt for the additional charge, should give you the idea.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
You have no evidence now. Next time, think of making him repeat his demands while you are making a video with your phone and record that you are paying him. Think of making 100% clear on the video what amount you have paid.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chatsu01

Thanks both for your reply.

It seems the Mumbai Mint has charged this amount. Today morning, I went to the Post Office and the Postmaster confirmed that there was a 'Cash on Delivery Charge (COD)' for this parcel and she is ready to give me a written explanation of the charge if I request this through a written application.

Now, I have written a complaint email to IGMM seeking clarification. Hope they have time to reply. :(

Regards
Sudip.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Must be unique to West Bengal or out of state. I got the sets delivered in Maharashtra without any charge.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline chatsu01

Thanks Dheer. In conclusion it emerged that the amount was levied due to a technical glitch by India Post. The postal authorities were quite helpful and refunded the amount. I had to write an application though and the postal authorities exactly took 2 working days to refund the amount - speedy service. The Mumbai Mint contact person  picked up my call and also responded to my email. The work from home culture seems to have improved efficiency for both govt and private sectors alike. Thanks for your replies. Regards, Sudip.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
That's quite good.  Hopefully others will also be refunded
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
India Post did the right thing. So did you, Sudip. The size of the payment is not important. What's important is the principle that people who have been given power, even in a small way, are held responsible for what they do with their power. Your action helped them realise that and in that way, I do not hesitate to say that you contributed to the long-term development of the country by upholding that principle.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chatsu01

Thanks Peter.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Additional charges on Delivery of Proof Set of Mumbai Mint in West Bengal
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »
So glad to hear that India Post refunded the full amount. Do you know what kind of technical glitch they had? What I mean is, are there any other customers from WB who have been charged the extra amount erroneously? You got a refund because you followed it up with India Post, not everyone will do that in these pandemic times...Did India Post refund the amount to such customers as well?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline idiotghost

Re: Additional charges on Delivery of Proof Set of Mumbai Mint in West Bengal
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
I had spoken to Kolkata & Mumbai Mint last month as I had one each UNC set coming from both of them. Both said there was a technical glitch at the end of India Post which made them add the delivery fee additionally. In fact the UNC set from Kolkata mint had a note written on it for India Post to not collect any additional charges! Mint said they have rectified the issue later & refunding the money. My Kolkata mint delivery got delayed as the delivery postman was told to collect additional fees from me! But at the last moment he got a call from the office to not collect anything! In this confusion it got delayed by a day!

Offline chatsu01

Re: Additional charges on Delivery of Proof Set of Mumbai Mint in West Bengal
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. The Mumbai Mint official said that due to an error from India Post they were collecting additional charges for 1 lot of despatched sets. Not sure of the error - must be very technical. The local Sub Post Master said that only a Zonal Post Master can reverse the charges and did so after a few days.