News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The world's oldest coin designs still being issued

Started by <k>, July 18, 2020, 03:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

If a change in the name of a country is OK, this one may be of interest. The first Dutch ducats were struck in 1586. At the time, the coins were hammered and the dies were made in an uncoordinated fashion in a number of Dutch mints. In time, many more minor variants occurred. The coin shown was struck in the Middelburg mint; the obverse legend ends in ZELandia and a castle

Dukaat 1586 MB.jpg

The major change came after the Napoleonic period, when the government of the Dutch federal republic (ORDinum PROVINciarum FOEDERatorum BELGicarum) was replaced by the Kingdom of the Netherlands (REGni Belgii). The type survived the second world war because it was in demand in the Netherlands Indies and de-colonisation was not on Dutch political radar screens.

Current strikes have been sold way above par, but the coin still figures in Dutch legislation as a trade coin. It is not a commemorative. The 2022 will be struck in the Utrecht mint and issued in September 2022.

Peter

Dukaat-2022 UT.jpg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

So, the Dutch wish to forsake the euro, and they are using gold in order to undermine the fiat money system. Let's hope the CIA never finds out. :o
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

Since there is no denomination on a ducat, you can'tell. Today, it is in fact a 250 euro piece. The mint also makes double ducats, actually 500 euro pieces. ;D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

While I find it nice that those are still issued, I think that is a tiny little far fetched. ;D What did <k> write in the initial post? "Here I will deal only with old designs that are found on regular circulating coins that are still being issued." Would love to see a ducat in circulation, hehe.

<k>

I have deleted French Polynesia and New Caledonia from the earlier posts.

Their coinages were superseded.

See:  French Pacific Territories: coinage since September 2021.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Big_M

Quote from: <k> on July 18, 2020, 11:48:52 AMThe designs used by Gambia originate from those introduced in 1966.

They were reused when the country adopted a decimal currency in 1971. See below.

Update: 1 dalasi and 50 bututs were minted with 2021 date.

Big_M

Quote from: Big_M on July 20, 2020, 10:43:01 AMWest Africa BCEAO:

https://www.bceao.int/fr/content/pieces-en-circulation

100 Francs from 1967 (last released in 2019)
50 Francs from 1972 (last released in 2019)

5 Francs, the design is from 1957 (for French West Africa + Togo) first released in 1960, last released in 2018.

1 Franc from 1976 (last released in 2011)

10 and 25 Francs bear FAO themes introduced in the 80s

50 and 100 francs now also minted with 2023 date, 5 francs latest from 2021.