Author Topic: Hohlpfennig?  (Read 106 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Hohlpfennig?
« on: July 11, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »
This tiny coin came flying into my lap. It was described as a Hohlpfennig ('hollow penny') from either Arnhem or Groningen - for if you peer at it long enough, you see  that the eagle is double-headed. It appears to be all copper, but might contain some silver. It's a bracteate (one-sided) and extremely thin: 15 mm, 0.14 gr.
Do you know where it is from? And is it a bit datable?

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Hohlpfennig?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »
Nice ! For a copper one it seems even more remarkable that it survived than the silver ones.
I know the city of Deventer minted something very similar. In Dutch called "braemse", ca 1500AD.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
Deventer would be possible, too, if it has an eagle with the head to the left, not a double head. Which is quite possible, when you look at it.

-- Paul

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »
Here is a Dutch article (2013) by Anton Cruysheer and Cornelis G.J. Pannekeet about holpenningen, it is on Academia.edu, this is the Academia title: Holpenningen in Nederland (ca. 1460-1570). It was in the 2013 Jaarboek voor Munt- en Penningkunde, Nr. 100 (p. 59-127).

Diligently poring over my coin I came to the conclusion it has a single-headed eagle after all, and it is therefore a Deventer holpenning or 'braemse' (also spelled 'braemsche', the word is derived from 'Brabants'), minted in the last decade of the 15th century. You may find it in the catalog attached to the article as nr. 20-25 (it's not exactly one of these). This makes me very content, for I'm collecting early Deventer coins (having lived some happy years in that medieval Hanse town).

-- Paul
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:30:46 AM by Pellinore »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
Good to hear that you have confidently attributed this pieace of history also. Thanks for the background link !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
These are uninformative, challenging coins. Excellent lead from TH followed up by first class research, resulting in a worthy addition to your collection. Congratulations.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.