Author Topic: 1/2 Baiocco - Alexander VII  (Read 113 times)

Offline scorpio

1/2 Baiocco - Alexander VII
« on: July 06, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
An interesting coin I recently purchased inexpensively. Alexander VII, whose original name was Fabio Chigi, was born in Sienna, Republic of Florence in 1599. He died  in 1667 in Rome. He was Pope from 1655 to 1667. He was also a Grandnephew of Pope Paul V.

The obverse of the coin shows the quartered papal arms with keys and tiara above. The reverse is badly damaged but would show mezo/baioc/co surrounded by a laurel wreath. A few of the letters can still be seen.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1/2 Baiocco - Alexander VII
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »
It was difficult to find a better specimen on the net, so I am borrowing this one from the lamoneta site.

I was curious about the arms. They are of course the arms of the Chigi family. The arms were granted by pope Julius II to his banker, Agostino Chigi (1466-1520). Julius II was a scion of the Della Rovere (of the Oak tree) family, that used an oak tree in its family arms. Chigi's old arms are in the other two quarters: six mountain tops below an eight-pointed star. The arms are covered with crossed keys (St. Peter) and a tiara on your coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.