News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Safavids, Isma'il Shah I , 1/2 shahi / Isfahan mint

Started by andyg, July 05, 2020, 08:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Another I didn't find on Zeno - I must have missed this one somewhere as the type is quite distinctive.
Timurid?

4.8g
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

aws22

Dear andyg, in the first photo, the date under the word " Isfahan اصفهان ", is 911 AH which indicates that this coin is:
Safavid, Shah Isma'il I, the founder of dynasty, 911 AH , Silver 1/2 shahi, Isfahan Mint (AH 907-930/1501-1524 AD).
Obverse (First photo): " السلطان العادل الهادی الوالی ابوالمظفر شاه اسمعیل بهادر خان خلد الله ملکه ", Al-Sultan Al-'Adil Al-Hadi Al-Wali Abu'l-muzaffar Shah Isma'il Bahadur Khan Khallada Allah Mulkahu, meaning, "the just Sultan, the Perfect, Father of Victory, Shah Isma'il the Brave Khan, may God perpetuate his Kingdom".
Reverse (Second photo): Shiite formula (Kalima) " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah, meaning, " no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God ". Inside square four of letter " Ain ع " refering to four names of " Ali على " as part of the 12 Shiite Imams which should be there on the reverse of the coin, " علی حسن حسین علی محمد جعفر موسی علی محمد علی حسن محمد " ( 'Ali Hasan Hussein 'Ali Muhammad Jafar Musa 'Ali Muhammad 'Ali Hasan Muhammad ).
Please note that I found no match to your coin, thus it needs further investigation.
I hope the above information helps.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

andyg

Thanks very much.

An enigmatic coin, even knowing more I've not found anything similar.

aws22

Dear andyg, I am still unhappy about the ID of this coin, in the second photo above the square box with four Ain letters, it could be continuation of (Ali) " Wali Allah ولى الله " followed by " Hasan حسن ",  one of the names of 12 Imams.

Maythem

andyg

Thanks very much. :)

Even searching for Isfahan and 911 doesn't get anywhere.

Figleaf

Just to inspire, we have seen that at times, religious institutions or monuments have issued coin-like objects. In spite of the wear, could this be such a piece?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you andyg and Peter, this coin is a Safavid coin which normally has the Shiite Kalima and the names of the 12 Shiite Imams. Those 12 Imams names are arranged in many different ways. This coin seems to be different.

Maythem