News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Arctic & Antarctic islands, numismatic geographical research

Started by Alex Island, July 05, 2020, 06:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

Marambio Island or Seymour Island

Located in the island is the Marambio Base which is the main Argentine base in Antarctica operating an airfield for wheeled landing the whole year. In winter the base has an average of 55 crew members, but in summer the population of the base can grow to 180.

I found two numismatic artifacts about this:
All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

Deception Station (Spanish: Base Decepción) is an Argentine antarctic base located at Deception Island, South Shetland Islands.

For a long time I could not find anything in numismatics regarding this island and the Antarctic base. Now I managed to find a medal with a map and a name. In addition, some other artifacts:

Alex Island

A token of the Ukrainian Antarctic base on the island of Galindez and the  was recently put up for auction. I just noticed the auction has already ended:

Alex Island

Regarding the base on the island of Galindez, I found other artifacts:

Alex Island

Canadian Arctic Archipelago

Situated in the northern extremity of North America and covering about 1,424,500 km2 (550,000 sq mi), this group of 36,563 islands, surrounded by the Arctic Ocean, comprises much of Northern Canada, predominately Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. The archipelago is showing some effects of climate change..

This interesting medal shows and inscribes the names of some of the islands. I was able to find various tokens and special commemorative issues about some of these islands individually.

The following islands are shown here:

Baffin island
Ellesmere Island
Devon Island
Prince of Wales island
Banks Island
Somerset island
Southampton Island

Alex Island

Quote from: Alex Island on August 02, 2023, 09:57:24 AMCanadian Arctic Archipelago

The following islands are shown here:

Baffin island
Ellesmere Island
Devon Island
Prince of Wales island
Banks Island
Somerset island
Southampton Island

I really like it if the name of the island is fully indicated on the subject of numismatics and not just some point or city or enterprise. In this case, I found such items with inscriptions:

Baffin island
Ellesmere Island

Alex Island

This is a new find: Alexandra Land island

Alexandra Land (Russian: Земля Александры, romanized: Zemlya Aleksandry) is a large island located in Franz Josef Land, Arkhangelsk Oblast, Russia. Not counting detached and far-lying Victoria Island, it is the westernmost island of Franz Josef Land. It is the site of a Russian military base that was reopened in 2017. wiki

I found a medal 2018 and a drawing of a sketch.
inscriptions in russian:
"Остров Земля Александры"
"Архипелаг Земля Франца-Иосифа"