Author Topic: Numis-musical pranks  (Read 139 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Numis-musical pranks
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »

Azerbaijan, 20 qapik, 2006.

Our forum administrator Figleaf is a Dutchman who lives in France. During the recent heatwave, I trapped him inside this Azerbaijani coin design along with a swarm of mosquitoes that had been trained to home in on his, ahem, scent. He was forced to flee up this spiral staircase, to - fittingly - a French tune played by Dutch pianists. Just listen to how exhausted he gets.  :laughing:

Musical stairs.

Erik Satie: Trois morceaux en forme de poire: Part 1. Lentement.

Played by Jeroen van Veen and Sandra van Veen.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:16:31 PM by <k> »
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Numis-musical pranks
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
Ah, but when music is involved, Austrians cannot be far. ;) And indeed that coin - in fact, the entire 2006 set of coins and notes - was designed by Robert Kalina. The stairs on the 50 manat note are straight, not a spiral, but the "shadow" ones on the right go further up. Very mysterious, that.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »
What heat wave? I love heat waves. Oh, a British heat wave. As in 17.63° C? You are lucky I spent the evening with a host of dead shrimps in a ginger sauce and a great fun Entre Deux Mers, or I would have sent those poor shivering mosquitoes to BoJo with malaria, just so he'll increase UK development aid to a decent level.

The ß on that coin really got my attention. I am sure that's what the Pentagon on the coin is about, so shouldn't it have been a ∏, rather than a ß, or was that about squaring a circle? Warning: one bottle of Entre Deux Mers can make your whole day. :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »
What heat wave? I love heat waves. Oh, a British heat wave. As in 17.63° C?

No, 30° C. I woke up to find 9 mosquito bites on my body on Thursday morning.  :(

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
Same here, between 30 and 33° in the past few days. Today we were supposed to get a thunderstorm, but that went elsewhere. I don't get that many mosquito bites, but I hate it when I lie in my bed and suddenly hear this high "eeeeeeee" ...

Edit - What I have at home is a "Bite Away" pen. You hold that onto the spot where the beast bit you, and press a button. This way you get concentrated heat, either for three or five seconds, which eliminates much of the itchy effect.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
Yes, that noise goes right through me, but fortunately I was asleep this time.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »
Edit - What I have at home is a "Bite Away" pen. You hold that onto the spot where the beast bit you, and press a button. This way you get concentrated heat, either for three or five seconds, which eliminates much of the itchy effect.

Strangely I never itch. The bites have no ill effects on me, apart from looking unsightly.