Author Topic: A charming Dutch medal  (Read 266 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
A charming Dutch medal
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »
The image on this medal really drew my attention. High relief, beautifully sculpted and a highly charming image. I've seen coins, tokens and medals depicting people striking coins before but never of a baby / angel.

I'm not sure of the subject but would this be issued by a coiner or medalist? "Edel metaal" translates to "precious medal" from what I can tell. The rest is possibly a company name?

The medal is by Hungarian sculptor Eduard Telcs. His signature is placed to the right of the baby's back but indistinct in the photo. Telcs worked in Budapest for most of his career but was active in the Netherlands in 1922 and 1924. This then is likely the period in which he produced this piece.

The medal is in bronze and is 41 mm with a plain reverse. A beautifully crafted piece.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A charming Dutch medal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
Advertising/souvenir medal of Koninklijke Begeer. This is an earlier version. The legend translates as "precious metal companies, medals department". The first two words are a short version of the company name, Koninklijke Nederlandsche Edelmetaal Bedrijven Van Kempen, Begeer en Vos. The picture in the link shows the front of the old company building in Voorschoten. Spelling is pre-1947.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: A charming Dutch medal
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 04:53:17 PM »
Thank you, Peter. It's no wonder the company name is shortened on the medal...41 mm just wouldn't do it. :)

Peter
Always Faithful